• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/48 Mustang Mk I/P-51A Complete Dec 2019

Started by lastvautour, January 08, 2019, 06:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RyanShort1

Those are looking very nice.

lastvautour

lastvautour

A slow return to my Mustangs Mk I. At least one will be a D-Day bird from RCAF 430 Sqn. I have decals in 1/48 but will make a copy for this solid version.

Lou

Gearup

Thanks for the photos of the assembly. What filler do you use?
Fraser

lastvautour

I use Legage wood filler in the tube.

Lou

Boomerang

Both coming along nicely.

Gordon

lastvautour

Invasion stripes started on RCAF 430 Squadron bird. The light grey one will receive Olive Drab colours used by USAAF Mustangs. Might be done by year's end.

Lou

lastvautour

The black bled under the tape on the fuselage bottom of the Mustang Mk I. A bit of a touch will take place once the black paint has cured. The cannon booths have been added to the P-51A and await the cannon barrels before continuing with the painting.

The Mk I will have home made decals and the P-51A will have decals from my spares box.

Lou

Model Maker

Hi Lou - Looking good!!

Next time you are at a big box store or a good hardware store, see if you can pick up a roll of 3M Platinum Blue masking tape. It has a much smoother texture than the standard green and blue masking tapes and provides really sharp masking lines. Because of the smooth surface, paint has much less of a tendency to creep under the tape. It's only a couple of dollars more a roll but in my experience a much better masking tape to work with.

Looking forward to the finished models

-ken

lastvautour

Thank you for the tip.

Louis

Gearup

It seems that there are new tapes coming from major manufactures. I bought a 3/4" roll of scotch #2080"delicate surface gentle removal washi painters tape". It's purple in color and has the same feel and tack as tamia model tape. It also produces a nice sharp line and was only a small premium over regular painters green tape.

lastvautour

I have Tamiya 6 mm that I save for special jobs needing the delicate touch. Otherwise I use either blue or green painter's tape.

Louis

Gearup

One of the reasons I enjoy building solid models from scratch is looking for that perfect solution using whatever materials can be had. Also knowing that if I really mess up a part, I don't have to replace an entire kit, I just grab another small piece of a tree😃 I really appreciate the information sharing on this forum. Thanks,
Fraser

lastvautour

I do that all the time including my current 1/72 Blenheim project where I had to replace the wing.

Louis

lastvautour

I had a few minutes this afternoon to do some painting. The paint is still wet and will dry to a matt finish. I found an extra set of RCAF decals to go with the USAAF ones.

Louis