• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Canadair Argus CP107 1/48 Scale ......................(Completed 21 April 2017)

Started by lastvautour, June 13, 2008, 01:35:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

I did not thin it down. I just used it straight from the can. I had it mixed to the same colour I would be using on the bottom half of the fuselage and top/bottom of the wings.

Lou

Oceaneer99

Nice Argus, Lou.  I enjoyed seeing it in it's multicolored primer state as well as its all-gray state!

Garet

lastvautour

Thank you Garet. It has been a very long project but not quite as long as the Bonnie. I hope to get them both complted or close to completion by 2014. The Argus does not need much more work, just time consuming sanding and them paint. It is too big to fit the paint booth so I may wait until the garage gets warmer next spring.

Lou

lastvautour

I can't believe that my last post was over one and a half years. I occasionally do a bit of sanding but the 2014 roll out may have been a bit premature.

Lou

lastvautour

Messy sanding at this point. Large models make for large amounts of dust.

Lou

lastvautour

A bit more sanding with lots yet to come.

Lou

lastvautour

The Argus is back on the bench. I had some new paint mixed at the local hardware store and painting has begone. I still see many areas that need some attention but at least I am moving forward. I await further progress before photos are taken.

Lou

lastvautour

Base colour has been painted and some putty added. This is the driest climate I have ever lived in and it is causing cracks in models that never had any before.

Lou 

lastvautour

First coat of top white applied. I am brushing it on so a least two more coats then a clear sealer over the entire aircraft. Decals will be a big job as I cannot afford to purchase them commercially.

Lou

Biggles

Wow impressive. Where are you living now? it got to 49 degrees Celsius here last summer in Australia. That's  120.2 Fahrenheit......
John 15:13

lastvautour

That is a bit warm for me. Mind you we were within power the last two days and the house temp in the morning was down to 13C and no water for bathing. Things are ok now. Moved to a small village called Cap Pele New Brunswick

Lou

Biggles

Yes I just lay around panting too......

Sheesh I hope you had extra blankets!
John 15:13

lastvautour

After seeing Ken N's 1/72 engines, it shamed me into making some for the 1/48 Argus. I was going to use decals to replicate the engines. I took a slightly different approach but hopefully achieve the same end. Since I needed 9 cylinders per row I use MS Word to make a template. I made 9 boxes and grouped them into one image. Using Pi I found I had a 1.57 inch circumference. I sized the image to 1.57 inches, printed and wrapped the image around my dowel. I then marked the cylinder location on the first row and then moved the paper 1/2 cylinder space and marked the second row and then cut the engine crankcase 8 mm thick. Each row is 2 mm from the edge of the case.

Lou

lastvautour

I then use a sharp point to begin the hole, followed by a small drill and then 5/64 drill which is the size of a round toothpick. Trying to use the larger drill first results in uneven spacing.

Lou

lastvautour

I then placed round toothpicks in the cylinder location and wrapped three strands of telephone wire.
I have since started wrapping a long length of wire around a toothpick and then cut three wraps for each cylinder.

Lou