• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/48 Scale RCAF Spitfire MK XVI..........................(Completed 28 Sep 2017)

Started by lastvautour, July 23, 2017, 10:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Decals have been completed on # AEQ and 4DV needs only the lettering on the fuselage. As a work around to not being able to print light lettering, I printed them on clear and hand painted the sky colour. I am still fiddling with the exhaust and feel I am close to a solution.

Lou

lastvautour

Roll out of AEQ occurred 21 Sep 2017 just in time for the fall offensive.

Lou

buccfan

Very nice Lou, exhaust manifolds turned out well. Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

They need improvement in my method. Thanks for the kind words.

Lou

lastvautour

4D-V is complete to finalize the project. It is my intend to donate one to a veteran I have befriended in the senior's residence where my 99 1//2 year old father lives.

Lou

Boomerang

Well Done ! Lou

They both look great.

Couple of questions..

Going back to the start how do you do your spinners?

Are the 4DV decals done on white and individually cut out?

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

The spinner are done as per http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/SMF/index.php?topic=753.0 with exception that I cut out base fiddle shape openings to scratch the blade whirl. The white numbers are printed on clear film in a light green ink. I then masked and painted with Tamiya flat white. It is tedious work and took several masking sessions to get all the letters. I use amarilloUSAF font.

Lou

lastvautour

A final photo of my very happy friend Camille.

Lou

Flying T

have you tried making a part out of wax and make a silicone mold and casting it with
fiberglass resine or cast it with wood putty. or make the pieces,separate, to cast and assemble.
FLYING T (AKA. LARRY)

lastvautour

Gordon, I missed a question on your previous post. The spinner is hand cut from a dowel and hand sanded.

Lou

Boomerang

lastvautour

I wish I could turn them. I once tried using my drill press but it still did not turn out well. I would have needed some sort of support for the sanding paper stick.

Lou