• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/72 Liberator GR V......................................(Completed 22 Mar 2016)

Started by lastvautour, September 24, 2015, 08:13:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

My friend Mark's father flew an RAF Coastal Command Liberator GR V during WWII. He recently received some of his dad's memorabilia and found a photo of FL976 which will be the subject of this build. I will attempt to do two as one will be given to Mark as a gift once done. I hope to be completed by November 11th this year.

Drawings are scaled and glued to serial box for the making of the templates. In 1/72 scale the wings work out to 18.33 inches/46.56 cm. The wood has been selected and some templates drawn onto it.

Lou

PS I can move this topic over to the group build should anybody wish to do the Remembrance Day Build.

lastvautour

Block carved. The nacelles will be done as one piece for each aircraft and cut out length when needed.

Lou

buccfan

Good start Lou, Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

Thank you Paul. Progress is very slow these days.

Lou

lastvautour

Finally had a few minutes with the Liberator fuselages.

Lou

lastvautour

All major components are block carved. Contour carving has started on the left fuselage but the project will not be completed by year's end.

Lou

lastvautour

Progress is slow.

Lou

buccfan

Coming on Lou, regards Paul J.

lastvautour

lastvautour

Wings are matched to the fuselage as well as the tail feathers. Next the nacelles and then lots of sanding.

Lou

lastvautour

Basic nacelle shape cut to size. Have yet to decided how to attach the nacelles to the wing.

Lou

lastvautour

The nacelle and wing are being mated. Found out that the front view shows a 12 mm thickness where the side view has only 10 mm (centered on inner nacelle location}. It makes a big difference when matting the nacelle to the wing. Back to the sanding block to reduce the thickness of the wing by 2 mm.

Lou

lastvautour

Progressing.

Lou

Peter

It's looking great Lou!

Peter

lastvautour