• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/72 Scale Century Series Jets - F-105D...................(Completed 8 Apr 2015)

Started by lastvautour, February 18, 2015, 01:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

The process has begun again with the F-105D. Templates have been scaled, printed and glued to cardboard. I have the fuselage block but need to find some suitable wood for the flying surfaces.

Lou

lastvautour

Major components are block cut.

Lou

lastvautour

Fuselage marked for contour cutting.

Lou

lastvautour

Fuselage cut outs to accept the wings. The intake were weak and broke several times due to the grain of the wood so new ones with grain running 90 degree to the wing span were cut and are currently being glued using round toothpicks as reinforcement.

Lou

lastvautour

Wings are being test fitted to the fuselage. The top fuselage has yet to be contoured.

Lou

lastvautour

Fuselage contoured. Next completing the tail feather parts.

Lou

lastvautour

Tail feathers attached. Filets and a bit of putty and sanding will tidy things up. Then the speed brake actuators and the bottom fin and tail hook.

Lou

lastvautour

Bottom fuselage fin and arrestor hook installed. The speed brake actuators require a bit of shaping and the tail end will be done. The wings are a tight fit so minimum putty and sanding should be required. I hope to visit the paint shop by next week.

Lou

lastvautour

Wings glued and minor putty applied. Brake actuators have yet to be shaped.

Lou

lastvautour

All components are glued, puttied and ready for the paint shop.

Lou

lastvautour

The F-105D has been primed and awaits for me to have enough courage to tackle another metallic paint job. I considered the camouflaged version, however all the others were not. I have "E.S.C.I." decals from the 1970s that will fit the bill quite nicely. I will spray them with clear gloss first and use warm water to free them from the paper backing. The decal sheet is for four F-105s, two F-111 and an F-84F. For what ever reason the F-84 is in 1/48 while all others are 1/72.

Lou

lastvautour

Model Master Aluminum Plate buffing metallic spray can did the paint job. The decals are Milano and the last photo is the version I wish to make using some of the Milano decals with my own serial numbers. We will see. The other version would be the decal version shown in the lower left of the first picture.

Lou

lastvautour

Roll out at 08:00 hrs 8 Apr 2015. I went with the decal sheet scheme and the decals were a big problem. The decals were so old that the glue backing would not adhere to the model. In some instances I used a bit of acrylic liquid wax flowed under the uplifted parts and after a few minute, I pressed down on the decal and that seemed to work. In other areas where the lift was too large, I used clear decal film to cover the entire decal. There was also the yellowing of the clear carrier film that gives the model a vintage look. Not what I was aiming for.

Lou

buccfan

Very nice indeed Lou. I have wondered about using older decals, there are lots for sale on Ebay. The adhesion seems to be a common problem along with splitting, which has often been reported on Britmodeller. Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

Thank you Paul. Your comments are much appreciated.

I read somewhere that placing yellowed decal in sunlight will remove most of the yellow. I was too impatient to attempt this.

Lou