• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/72 scale Century Series Jets - F-102A ...............(Completed 18 March 2015)

Started by lastvautour, January 23, 2015, 08:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

I will begin the Delta Dagger sometime in February. Anyone out there want to make one also?  Here is Ken Pugh's magnificent F-102A as a reminder.

Lou

lastvautour

Drawings scaled and printed. Wood has been selected and cut to blocks.

lastvautour

Ken Pugh

Good start, Lou.  Don't know about your documentation, but I have the Detail & Scale book on this plane.  There are several features that are construction date dependent, e.g. drooped wing tips, canted USAF markings on the side, etc.  If you need any help with these let me know and I'll look them up for you.

lastvautour

Thank you Ken. I have lots of data on the Century Series aircraft. I also have quite a few decal sets from my plastic collection. I should be starting soon with gluing the fuselage block as I do not have a single piece thick enough. Same as the wing, lots of glue and then closer cuts and then carving.

Lou

lastvautour

Blocks \re being cut. I found a piece of 1/4 inch wood big enough to do the flying surfaces. The template for the top view has been glued to a cracker box for later cutting.

Lou

lastvautour

Block carved parts to the F-102A.

Lou

lastvautour

Carving has begun.

Lou

lastvautour

Cockpit area emerging.

Lou

lastvautour

Intake tunnels coming out slowly.

Lou

lastvautour

Fuselage contoured.

Lou

lastvautour

Test fitting the wings to the fuselage resulted in cracking the wing. The grain runs front to rear which is unusual for me but it solved other problems. The speed brakes tail fin are rough carved and the wing tips have the X case shape since I have lots of old decals for that version. Lots of sanding remains.

Lou

lastvautour

Shaping the concave under portion of the wing has its problems. Straight lines(second photo) when viewed from an angle (first photo) shows the contour.

Lou

lastvautour

Two short spars were added to the wing and repair to some damage will take place before gluing the fuselage to the wings. Second photo close up of tail end details.

Lou

lastvautour

Damage repaired. Wing fences will be added this week and then gluing to the fuselage. I hope to have it in the paint shop first week in March.

Lou