• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/72 scale Century Series Jets - F-100D ..................(Completed 2 Feb 2015)

Started by lastvautour, December 31, 2014, 06:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

I have decided to make all 6 Century Series Jet in 2015 starting with the F-100D. We have a group build on these and I will post photos and links to that post. The wings will be made as separate units to ensure integrity of the sweep while maintaining strength. A one piece swept wing has some inherent weakness in the tips. (Learned that one the hard way.)

Lou

Oceaneer99

This will be a neat project, Lou! On one of my models with swept wing, I cut out each wing with grain parallel to the leading edge, then joined them along the centerline as a single unit.  That was a good compromise between one-piece and two-piece assembly.

Garet

lastvautour

I may try that as I not yet cut the wing pieces. I image a piece of wood with the grain forming an inverted V in the middle.

Lou

lastvautour

I went with the Strombecker style wing joint as they were already drawn. The major components are block cut and ready to get some serious carving. The fuselage is a finger joint piece that appeared to have straight grain transitioning from the two parts. Not so. A rasp will have to be used to carve as the grain turn drastically as it nears the exhaust area.  This is the first problem I have encountered with this stock of recycled wood.
The second photo shows the difference with the F-101 in the same scale.

Lou

lastvautour

The canopy peaks out of the block. I debated doing the canopy and fuselage spline separate, but old habits prevailed. The bottom view shows the wing attachment method for both sets of wings.

lastvautour

Upper fuselage taking shape.

Lou

lastvautour

All parts have been sanded and wings glued in place.

Lou

lastvautour

Major sanding done. Need small amounts of putty at the wing joints and the addition of wing fences and a refueling probe.

Lou

lastvautour

Additional photo.

Lou

cliff strachan

If I'm not too much out of line let me say that you guys have exceled yourselves with your obvious Solid Scale abilities. Good Luck to you all.

Cliff.

Peter

I agree with you a 100% Cliff. You are all a talented and inspirational group of craftsman.

Peter

lastvautour

Thank you Cliff and Peter. Both of you are equally capable of producing these models.

Lou

lastvautour

The last photo prior to priming. I am sure that the pitot boom and well as the refueling probe will knock off several time before this project is finished.

Lou

lastvautour

Primer has been applied and final sanding will begin this weekend. A comparison shot with the Hasegawa kit is provided. I am considering French  EC 1/3 "Navarre", Armee de l'Air  markings from Wings Palette  http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww3/f/800/21/1

Lou

lastvautour

The French scheme has some basis on my youthful days. In the early 1960s I attended boarding school that had French(France) magazines. One such magazine featured a comic character called Major Dan Cooper, an exchange Canadian pilot flying with the French. I recall one comic strip where Major Cooper lands his F-100 and the brakes fail. I think he must have been flying with EC 1/3 Navarre as I recall the yellow band around the forward fuselage. I even carved an F-100 around 1/100 scale. Too bad that model went by the wayside long long ago. Regardless, Major Cooper is virtually unknown outside Europe except to those who had access to magazines directly from France or Belgium. Major Dan Cooper's exploits will continue on in my collection.

Lou