• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/144 De Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter - RCAF CC-138 (Completed 24 Dec 2014)

Started by lastvautour, November 16, 2014, 04:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Started at the flea market last Thursday until I slashed my thumb while talking and carving at the same time. Multi tasking is not longer effective in my case. Regardless, we are up to the block form stage for all major components. I will paint her up as CC-13801 or 13808. Photos and short history at http://www.115atu.ca/air-2ot.htm

Lou

lastvautour

Thank you Gordon. At this point the dream of that perfect model is still alive and acts as a good motivator.

Lou

Boomerang

lastvautour

Contour shaping done to rough stage. All parts except prop blades and flap hinges are cut and  await sanding.

Lou

lastvautour

Twin Otter just out of the paint shop with a fresh coat of white primer. Wing struts and flap hinges will be attached once the gloss white has been applied. Decals have been ordered from CanMilAir.

Lou

http://www.canmilair.com/proddetail.asp?prod=073

Boomerang

Looks good Lou. Not a bad size at 1/144th
  Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

At 1/144 the Twin Otter is similar to smaller 1/72 model.

Lou

lastvautour

Decals have arrived. The windscreen is a trial run. Note the white haze. That is what happens when you rush and see the word gloss and don't bother reading the second word. White over decals don't work so good. Evergreen plastic strips are glued in place and will be shaped into the wing fences once dry.

Lou

lastvautour

Roll out 24 Dec 2014. That makes 4 United Nations aircraft supplied by Canada with 3 being built by De Havilland Canada. A relatively quick build once I put my mind to it. Decals are CanMilAir # 073.

Twin Otter 13808 was destroyed 5 Dec 1971 on the ground in Kashmir at the outbreak of the India-Pakistan war. That CC-138 was in Kashmir on UN assign.

Lou

lastvautour

buccfan

Excellent Lou, the decals certainly add the details, well done.Regards Paul J.

lastvautour