• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Lou's first public display 19 April 2008. (Completed 05 Jun 08)

Started by lastvautour, April 12, 2008, 10:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottzepher

Lou,
     Congratulations!     You carrier looks great, stands up to the plastic around it, and inspires me to display my work someday. 

Tom

gera

Congratulations Lou....nice models and "large" display......good job.
You´r lucky, just 5 miles to the Mall!!!!!....When I participate in the Italian
contests...Its One model....FedEX minimum $ 105.00 and a jump of the Atlantic!!!!!
In Dicember of 2006 it was in Milano and the Malpensa Customs thought it would be
a good idea to "Check" my model (SM-81) by braking both wings!!!!!!!!! what on earth were
those goons thinking would be inside a "Solid" model?????.....luckily my proxy friend took
it from his hometown (Latina) to a friend in Rome (60 miles +-) and had it fixed and repainted
the night before catching a train to Milano (6 hours away +-) and the contest....... ;D ;D :D
Gera

lastvautour

Ted, computer box are what I use mostly. When I moved from Alberta, a lot of my models wood and plastic were carefully packed and only one plastic did not survive. I'm now looking at recycled underfloor foam underlay. Vacuum and shake out outside and stand upwind. This may not be the healthiest st of choices. However once sanitized, cut to the size of the box. Place two layers on the bottom and with the third layer remove the foam where it contacts the model. At one pint the wings will make contact and that is what we want. So when you look at the box you will see a cavity where the model will fit and reverse the process as you build up the foam above the model and stat with another model on top. There will be area for placing smaller models also. Glue as many layers tighter as possible to avoid having to remove umpteen foam pieces. I will report when I have my first box done.

teddon61

lou. anxious to see the photos of your packing procedure but I have a question, How long would it take, and how much room would you need to stack all the boxes for displays of 80 or more aircraft at a single show?
The procedure I use with foam peanuts works quickly, and rarely (never for me to date) damages a plane. You can actually search through the peanuts by hand and pull them up one by one without removing the peanuts from the box. I have never so much as damaged an antenna or wing floats on float planes using this method. You do need a separate box to empty the peanuts into when it is time to re-pack the planes, this extra box I usually use for extra show material such as books, patches, relics etc. I can unpack and repack the boxes in half an hour without fear. I hope I explained it well enough, If not I will try to answer any questions. My largest show to date was with 240 aircraft, and it went very well.
Ted

lastvautour

My first show took 4 boxes of approx 4 cubic ft each to pack 30 models. I had 3 additional models with no packing.  I am still at the early stage as I have lots of yardwork and many projects going on at the same time. So far I have one plane safely stowed away.

Lou

Balsabasher

Lou what a terrific display,it just goes to show how beautiful solids are when displayed in their own right,we are so proud of you for showing the flag you are a real craftsman,dont they look good all together like that ?
And here is something special for you as I know the VAUTOUR is close to your heart,it would make a great scheme for any future Vautour that you were considering,keep chiselling away.
Balsabasher/Wonwinglo/Barry.