• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/32 Scale Fokker DR1....................................(Completed 03 Nov 2014)

Started by lastvautour, August 03, 2014, 05:01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

Lou,

Looks like this is going to be a lovely plane.  Go easy when sanding the ribs, the leading edge back to the spar were ply covered so smooth.
Have you decided on a colour scheme  yet?

We saw a Dr1 over our local agricultural show last Saturday.  It was the replica owned by Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden though whether he was piloting on the day wasn't announced.  There was a dogfight display with this and two Junckers CL1 monoplanes up against a Sopwith Triplane and SE5s.  On the ground we saw the MkIV tank (from War Horse film) and real Model T ambulance and Thorneycroft truck, as well as re-enactors doing period cavalry and infantry drill.  And the sun shone :)

Will

lastvautour

The lower wing ribs and the under surface camber have been rough sanded.

Lou

lastvautour

Lower wing test fit to fuselage.

Lou

Biggles

looks like it will be a real detailed build!
John 15:13

lastvautour

Wings are coming along.

Lou

lastvautour

Undercarriage, tail feathers and undercarriage and main wing moving along.

Lou

lastvautour

Wheel covers have been produced and one installed for test fit. Sorry no photo yet. However, the attached shows my process. Print the cover to size, cut out, cut slit to center. Place a drop of glue on the back and overlap by approx 1/8 in (2 cm).

Lou

cliff strachan

A very nice wing, Lou. I think that the method that you've adopted for the internal bracing is quite realistic.

Cliff.

lastvautour

Painting is being done as those parts are ready.

Lou

lastvautour

The Spandau 8/15 MGs are complete and require just a touch of dry brushed silver to highlight the edges. The only remaining area is the cockpit. I require a seat, belts, control stick and an instrument panel.

Lou

Biggles

It looks really good Lou, your level of detail is amazing!
John 15:13

lastvautour

Thanks Biggles. All I have left is the instrument panel which is one instrument. I can only assume it is an airspeed indicator.

Lou

lastvautour

Bits and pieces attached. Roll out was 10 AM 3 Nov 2014. The colour scheme is for Lothar Von Richthofen, the Red Baron's younger brother. Lothar had 40 victories at war's end, however his contribution was all but eclipsed by Manfred.

Lou

lastvautour

Comparing the DR1 to the SE5A revealed that the DR1 is quite a bit smaller. The size difference berween 1/72 and 1/32 show what scale you need if your display area is restricted.

Lou

lastvautour

Additional photos.

Lou