• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/32 Scale Fokker DR1....................................(Completed 03 Nov 2014)

Started by lastvautour, August 03, 2014, 05:01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Ready for installing to the DR 1.

I am making a new stand to enable me to attach the propeller while on the stand.

Lou

lastvautour

New engine stand.

Lou

lastvautour

Test fit to block fuselage.

Lou

buccfan

Now that is impressive work. Great detailing. I like the new engine stand. Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

Thank you Paul. The stand is round toothpicks and some small diameter bamboo rod.

Lou

cliff strachan

Lou, I would like to thank you for your opinion regarding my dilemma concerning the engine of DE Havilland Tiger Moth, or for that matter any de Havilland aircraft of a certain vintage. Would you believe that I have labored under this problem for quite sometime? In fact, I have even obtained a book, published by the same publishers that frequently put out books on cars. (I can't find it at the moment. Probably a seniors moment but maybe moving has had something to do with it.) In this book - Chilton's or whatever -  they have even got plans that I could have used to build a detailed engine! And then enclose it again!

So as you can see, the question wasn't intended to be frivolous at all. Especially, if I lived long enough, I might have built other twin DH's and then there would have been a very real need to make their engines as simple as possible.

Cliff.

lastvautour

The wing and tail feathers are blocked and await final sizing and shaping.

Lou

lastvautour

I keep forgetting to take photos. Having too much fun to stop.

Lou

lastvautour

The cowl has been rough cut on the scroll saw.

Lou

lastvautour

Cowling has been glued and the cockpit enclosure being readied for seat and instrument panel.
With a bit of effort, the engine can be removed and be secured by a pin running through the cowl.

Lou

lastvautour

Wing ribbing has begun. Sand paper wrapped over a dowel and just rubbed back and forth to create the shape of the canvas over the ribs.

Lou

Peter

Amazing Lou, is your method for enclosing the cockpits the same as Kenji did on his way back when?

Peter

lastvautour

I cut out a block and replaced the sides and top individually.

Lou

cliff strachan

Lou, very nice. Both your solution to the engine and to the problem of an interior to an older biplane. Hope you don't mind if I copy your steps?
Also, in regard to your sandpaper approach to wing ribbing.

Cliff

lastvautour

Thank you Cliff. It was someone else on the site that showed me how to do the cockpit area.

Lou