• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/32 Scale Fokker DR1....................................(Completed 03 Nov 2014)

Started by lastvautour, August 03, 2014, 05:01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

The engine has been started with experimentation on suitable cylinders.

Lou

lastvautour

Cylinders are 1/8 dowel wrapped with telephone wire. This makes them 7mm high with a 4mm diameter.

Lou

lastvautour

Pin holes were drilled into the crankcase followe3d by bigger drill bits until the 3/64 diameter hole was attained. The attaching stud is approx 1/8 in long.

Lou
(Sorry for out of sequence comment)

Biggles

Great! Will you paint it in the "Red Baron" paint scheme?
Biggles
John 15:13

lastvautour

No, the Red Baron is overused.

Lou

lastvautour

First fuel manifold tube is in place.

Lou

lastvautour

The fuel manifold tubes are misplaced and will have to be redone. with the intake side being at the rear of the engine rather than as shown in the front.

Lou

Boomerang

What did you use for the manifold tubes?

Gordon

lastvautour

I just used some copper wire that looked about he correct size. They need to be bent two ways, one to reach behind the cylinder and again to fit into the side of the intake valve located at the top of the cylinder. I did one and it looks OK. now just another eight exactly alike!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lou

buccfan

Great detailing Lou, looking forward to your updates. Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

Two new fuel manifold tubes have been fashioned, rocker valves/push rods and spark harness installed. The tubes are copper wire. The rocker valves are wood with straight pins as push rod. The electrical system is 1/16 inch round toothpick and silver braided thread for the harness wire.

Lou 

The first photo shows the rear of the engine.

Biggles

that is really amazing Lou, I would never even consider putting so much detail in to my models but it looks absolutely fantastic!
John 15:13

lastvautour

Thanks Biggles, just a few bits and pieces. I have four cylinders done so far.

Lou

cliff strachan

Lou - or anyone that may be able to help - while I too am amazed at your engine my problem is how to make an engine for a Tiger Moth that just peeks out from the engine nacelle - without making the whole darn thing and then covering most of it up.

Cliff.

lastvautour

I would recommend that you do just one cylinder.

Lou