• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/72 F-86A ..............................................(Completed 22 May 2014)

Started by lastvautour, May 15, 2014, 06:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Parts duplicated using the Strombecker kit make up this F-86A. The model I wish to make has the V windscreen so some modifications of my canopy is in order. Here is a close up of progress to date.

Lou

lastvautour

I have been a fan of the F-86 since the early fifties when they flew over my home. It seems I do not know as much as I thought I did. I re-read the Canadair Sabre bible and found many v shaped windscreens. A close look at the Matchbox F-86s in my collection also have v shape windscreens that I never noticed before. They date back to my first plastic modeling days in the 60s and 70s.

A v shaped windscreen has been added and a shot of primer added. Once dry, I will post photos.

Lou

lastvautour

New windscreen and some progress on using the Matchbox kit decals. The decals are much thicker than home made and don't lay down as well even with decal solution. I am still not very good with silver finishes and seem to get a dusty look. I added a coat of gloss that helped a bit. I guess I need more practice.

Lou

Mark Braunlich

Looks good from here Lou!

The best metallic silver/aluminum paint I've ever used is the SnJ paints.  Fantastic results but the drawback is very limited shelf life after opening the container.

http://hawkeyes-squawkbox.com/our-products/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW1tKEWS-Eo

lastvautour

Thanks Mark. I have seen articles on this product before but a bit much for me to attempt.

Lou

lastvautour

Roll out occurred at 1400 hrs. local time. The decals are from a Matchbox kit and were not meant for the Strombecker kit. Regardless it now sits next to the Ray/Lou F-86A.

Lou

Additional photos to follow.

lastvautour

F-86A

Lou

buccfan

Very nice Lou, silver and decals work for me. Best regards Paul J.

lastvautour

Balsabasher

What a peach of a model,the finish looks just right for an F-86,together with the Hawker Hunter the last of the good looking jets.
Barry.