• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/72 Republic Seabee .................................. (Completed 11 Jun 2014)

Started by lastvautour, March 05, 2014, 06:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balsabasher

I  see that one of your staff is sleeping on the job flat out on the hangar floor,thats dedication for you he wants to get on with the carving process !
Barry.

lastvautour

He did a double shift. He should have gone to the locker room.

Lou

lastvautour

Wings have been given a rough contour carving and sanding. The main wing/fuselage/engine nacelle have been notched and test fitted together. An attempt to produce the corrugated main wing is proving out to be satisfactory using .020" Evergreen rods. Next is mating the tail feathers to the fuselage and then contour carving of the fuselage.

Lou

lastvautour

Starting the hull area.

Lou

Balsabasher

I like the chines,quite an art to carve these and it has to be done carefully.
Barry.

lastvautour

Moving along. The undercarriage is round toothpicks and straight pins. Skis will be attached on one of the Seabees.

Lou

Balsabasher

Those wheels really make it Lou,and the ski undercarriage sounds interesting.
Barry.

lastvautour

Barry, just google CF-EVE for views on the model I want to replicate.

Lou

lastvautour

A little different colour scheme of white and blue with some parts olive drab.

Lou

Photo courtesy of Helene Lavigne at https://www.flickr.com/photos/boccet/12759803084/in/photostream/

lastvautour

And a look from the other side. Note entrance door is also olive drab.

Lou

Photo courtesy of Pierre Langlois at https://www.flickr.com/photos/96002349@N00/12442090495/in/photostream/

Mark Braunlich

Lou,
I would guess the olive drab is primer on replacement components.

lastvautour

CF-EVE has carried that colour scheme for at least 3 years. Maybe they were replacement parts from another Seabee?? Interesting regardless.

Lou

Balsabasher

Lovely practical scheme Lou,the green looks like Chrome etch primer used by aircraft manufacturers.
Barry.

lastvautour

Some progress on corrugating the flying surfaces. It is slow but hopefully will be worth the effort.

Lou

lastvautour

I finally gave up on placing individual strands of thread and went with one piece wrapped around the entire wing. Looks good from the top, but a bottom view will reveal a slight angle of the corrugation. It take just over 6.75 feet (2.M) of thread to do one side. A small cut in the trailing edge holds the thread at the start of the process. Once wrapped, a liberal application of acrylic paint seals it all in. The leading edge would normally be flat with no corrugation but in this case I am taking poetic license.(Won't be the first time)

Lou