• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/72 Republic Seabee .................................. (Completed 11 Jun 2014)

Started by lastvautour, March 05, 2014, 06:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Drawings are scaled and ready to go.

Lou

Balsabasher

I love the Seabee,made a few in my time,best of luck Lou.

Barry.

lastvautour

My first Seabee was a 1/144 scale inspired by your two 1/200 scale beauties. Unfortunate for the site, the only photo we have of your mini Seabees is a thumbnail unless you have an original, a part of our history is reduce to this.

Lou

Balsabasher

I think the best way Lou would be to photograph them again once that particular box is opened up,for some reason I do not have a record of these particular models ? they seem to have been lost in an hard drive meltdown,thanks for reminding me of them.

Barry.

lastvautour

Wood has been selected and templates drawn. I will start two, but do not guarantee two completions. Although not visible in the photo, the wing, engine pod and tail feathers blocks are thick enough for two copies of each piece.

Lou

Peter

Didn't they use a See Bee in the James Bond movie, The Man with the Golden Gun?

Peter

lastvautour

You are correct. There is a Seabee in the movie.

Lou

Balsabasher

There is also the Twin Seabee,a fascinating aircraft.
Barry.

Mark Braunlich

Lou,
Seabee at the Bush Plane Museum, Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario.  Photographed this past summer.

lastvautour

Nice photo Mark. Thanks for posting it.

Lou

Balsabasher

Here is a beaten up old Sea Bee that I built many years ago,patched it up and flashed some black onto it.

Barry.

lastvautour

Excellent ribbing on the wing. What did you used?

Lou

Balsabasher

Strips of paper glued with a dry glue stick,then jap tissue laid on wet and clear dope applied,the gooey mess will dry up and bloom white,however  after this  further coats of clear dope can be applied and the blooming vanishes,if I did it today then I would use chart tape or very fine tape obtainable on EBay,its tedious but rewarding.

Another way is to trowel on car body filler the slow setting variety without hardener,then take a metal comb and draw across the surface from the leading edge to the trailing edge,pin the wing down and make a stop one side to butt the comb up against,a block of wood can be slotted so the comb fits into it and the comb rides against the side block to keep it straight,another good material for this in lieu of the car filler is artists Golden Products Clear tar which holds its edge beautifully creating the desired corrugations.

Even painted lines can give good simulated corrugations effect on small models,I feel a new Sea Bee coming on Lou !

Barry.

lastvautour

My original Seabee does not have any ribbing.

Lou

lastvautour

Blocks have been cut out of all major parts except for the wing floats. Shaping should start before weekend's end.

Lou