• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/144 Canadair/Convair CC-109 Cosmopolitan..............(Completed 9 April 2014)

Started by lastvautour, February 22, 2014, 05:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Decals have been ordered from CanMilAir and drawings have been printed. Wood selection should be done within a few days and then let the chips fly.

Lou

Notes:

The Canadair version CL-66 did not fair as well as the Convair versions.

I had the just one flight in the Cosmo and did not like the rearward facing seat this particular aircraft had.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadair_CC-109_Cosmopolitan

lastvautour

Bits and pieces are coming together.

Lou

lastvautour

All the major parts are done.

Lou

Balsabasher

Looking really good already Lou,a Convair liner emerges.

Barry.

lastvautour

The Convair 340/440 (USAF C-131 Samaritan) had piston engines while the Canadair CL-66 (RCAF CC-109 Cosmopolitan) turboprops. On several occasions some of our Cosmos were mistaken for the USAF Samaritans and avgas was pumped into our tanks. Although our Allison engine would burn avgas, it would put lead deposits on our turbines and required extensive maintenance to remedy the problem. The Convairliner was used as a basis for a tin plate toy airplane I received as boy in the mid 1950s so my attraction goes back a long time.

Lou

Balsabasher

I love these little stories Lou that bring our models to life in history,just visualising all of that Avgas going into the tanks !
Barry.

lastvautour

CanMilAir decals arrived today so I had better put some priority on the build. Normally I only order after the models are done.

Lou

lastvautour

Some contour carving and a paper cockpit window. It will be removed and replaced with the store bought decal in due course.

Lou

Balsabasher

Thats turning out to be a lovely looking model Lou.

Barry.

lastvautour

Thanks Barry. None of the drawings really show the engine shape so photos and the old Mk I eyeball will have to do.

Lou

lastvautour

The port engine is carved and test fitted to the wing. The vertical fin is glued and the horizontal plane is puttied and sanded. Progress is being made.

Lou

Balsabasher

Yes Lou I can see the work on those engine lips,most effective and photographs show a lot.
Barry.

lastvautour

Finally remembered I had some CC-109 photos. They were taken with a cheap camera and without flash on a dark and stormy afternoon. The images are quite grainy but useable for my purposes. I am guessing early 1990s. I had to scan them as they are pre-digital.

Lou

Balsabasher

Very useful never the less Lou,they show all of the nacelle detail needed for your model.

Barry.

lastvautour

Had to rework the bottom of the nacelles. The tail is puttied and sanded with a bit of primer added. Some final sanding should tidy things up.

Lou