• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/48 Scale Hangar 2014

Started by lastvautour, January 06, 2014, 08:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Since the high waters caused by a broken pipe destroyed my other hanger, I find it time for a new one to begin. This time I have elected to do just two sides and a floor. Recycled wainscoting will be used for the structure. Everything else will be paper or recycled wood and plastic. Just to give the sense of size, the attached photo has a 1/32 CF-5A to give it scale.

Lou

Balsabasher

Sorry to hear about the demise of the other hangar Lou,well if this one turns out as good as that last one it will be equally impressive,in a similar vain I lost half of my balsa stock in my last workshop which flooded and soaked up the water mid way like blotting paper,I managed to salvage some of the half sheets but the water had crept right into the wood rendering it useless.

Barry.

lastvautour

The walls and floor have been glued together and reinforced with glue laced paper strips. Now painting of the floor will be next followed by the wall. Piping and electrical will follow in due time.

Lou

Balsabasher

Its amazing what can be achieved with card and a bit of ingenuity,looks good Lou set against the DC-3.

Barry.

lastvautour

Cement block lines have been added. Coming along slowly.

Lou

lastvautour

The second floor mezzanine is painted and awaits some stairs. I attempted to do some in paper but that did not work out to well as the assembly twisted. So back to the drawing board on that one.

Lou

Balsabasher

I love your hangar scenes Lou,this one is coming along as well.
Barry.

lastvautour

New stairs have been manufactured using cardboard and business card stock paper. Doors and signage has yet to be properly attached.

Lou

P.S. Some pesky visiting 1/48 Revelogram Skyraiders moved in before proper photos were taken. Plastic bench is clear for now. Miss Eileen was the last to be completed today. More photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/8416077@N08/

Balsabasher

Hope those big round engines do not drop oil onto your new hangar floor Lou !

Barry.

cliff strachan

After seeing the images on the Flicker Site I can only admire all of your work. You have done a remarkable job, Lou. Very realistic. Especially the B52 in your hangar.
Cliff.

lastvautour

Thank you Cliff. The 1/144 scale B-52 hangar was in another part of the basement and did not get any water damage.

Lou

lastvautour

Installing rails on my catwalk. Bamboo BBQ skewers work well.

Lou

Balsabasher

Yes I have a big box full of different sized barbecue sticks,its amazing how useful they are,also collect those coffee stirers that differ in size and shape,they make excellent wing and cabane struts.
Barry.

Biggles

Bamboo skewers are so useful for all those little things!
Biggles
John 15:13

lastvautour

Safety railing in place on walkway and some signage has been affixed to the walls. Progress is slow. A tire rack is in the making as well as a wired cage to hold inflate tires.(no photo yet)

Lou