• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Walking stick topper - Control Colunm Grip.......(Completed 20 Feb 14)

Started by lastvautour, November 18, 2013, 08:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Over here they are yard or garage sales. Occasionally they are called flea markets. Just someone wanting to get rid of unused stuff. One man's junk is another's treasure.

Lou

lastvautour

Had a few minutes waiting for the misses to get her hair cut so with sandpaper in hand, the control stick received some long neglected attention. Amazing how much you can sand in 45 minutes.

Lou

buccfan

Nice job Lou, lots of shaping work.  I wonder what a Buccaneer stick top would look like? I'll put it on the list. Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

We can probably find out from on line photos. May start a trend here.

Lou

Balsabasher

I have noticed that control columns have become highly collectable items sometimes demanding high prices,these are a good alternative.
Barry.

lastvautour

There are cheap plastic one you can find on line but this is for mounting on a waking/hiking stick so it needs to be a bit more robust.

Lou

lastvautour

Stick grip completed however I have yet to find the stick. The last one was a shovel handle but I need all my shovels. Nice project with lots of whittling and sanding. Buttons are dowels and the trim button is a dressmaker's pin.

Lou

lastvautour

Finish is flat black Krylon rattle can over sprayed with clear gloss. Dark red is hand brushed "Dreamcoat" water based craft paint.

Lou

Peter

That's awesome Lou! You could have a little business selling those at air shows!

Peter

lastvautour

Thank you Peter, but it takes way too much time to make to attempt selling.

Balsabasher

Very realistic Lou,you have put a lot of work into this.
Barry

buccfan

Very nice job Lou, I like that a lot, very realistic right down to the texturing, well made. Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

Thank you Barry and Paul.

Paul, have you searched for some Buccaneer control stick grips?

Lou

buccfan

I did Lou, but I didn't come up with anything, I suppose I could ask the chaps at Bruntingthorpe who keep the Buccs running to have a look in the AP's for diagrams. Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

Found suitable walking stick for my latest control handle grip. It was a shovel handle but will do nicely once I sand and varnish it.

Lou