• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Walking stick topper - Control Colunm Grip.......(Completed 20 Feb 14)

Started by lastvautour, November 18, 2013, 08:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Having found new drawings of the Control Colunm Grip used on Voodoos and T-33, I have a mind to do myself a new one. Here are photos of the old one. This will definitely not be ready for Christmas as it will be a low priority project.

Lou

Balsabasher

Very novel projects Lou,I have seen aircraft control columns realise silly prices at aerojumbles,your replicas look good when varnished up.
Barry.

lastvautour

This is actually my third. The first two are mounted in CF101003 which is on display in Goose Bay Labrador. Apparently when they delivered the aircraft to Goose, the aircrew removed the grips for souvenirs and I was asked to carve new ones. I had an actual one on hand so it made life easier. It has so many curving surfaces, it is challenge without the real one to look upon.

Lou

lastvautour

Spent a bit of time on the control stick grip.

Lou

Balsabasher

They are great Lou,quite complex shapes to this one as well.
Barry.

lastvautour

The biggest problem is where the contour requires a cut that goes with and then against and with the grain again. It requires changing the angle of the blade repeatedly. Another minor thing is that with laminated blocks, each slice does not necessarily have parallel grain patterns.  But then without a challenge, it is not worth getting up in the morning.

Lou

Balsabasher

I agree Lou,life is a challenge in itself and tackling the more difficult things is fun on our learning curve.
Barry.

lastvautour

I sat with the misses at the Mall while she sold crocheted afghans. Since I was doing nothing but chatting, I brought along the control grip and did some whittling. Had a few looks, but none had the nerve to ask me what I was doing. Never heckle a man with a knife even if it was only an inch long.

Lou

Photos to follow.

Balsabasher

Good for you and yours Lou,I remember the model displays that you used to put on,they were excellent,whittling in public is good,show them what a sharp knife is really for and not just cutting the crusty loaf !
Barry.

cliff strachan

Lou I for one have always thought your tutorials were A1. And far be it from me to ever even imagine heckling a man with a knife. Good advice as always.
Cliff.

lastvautour

Balsabasher

Those extra long Exacto knives and saws are useful items.
Barry.

lastvautour

That is an Exacto handle but the blade came with a jig saw set of blades. Can't remember where they were purchased but they have been in the basement a few years at least. This is the first time this long blade has been used. The holding end had to be filed to fit the handle. Works really good as it solid and has very little flex to it.

Lou

buccfan

Nice work Lou on a complicated shape. Regards Paul J.

Balsabasher

Lou I really like a long blade called Stanley 5901,unfortunately they discontinued this many years ago and I managed to pick up a good supply of old new stock at a car boot sale,I understand that you have similar things called garage sales.
Barry.