• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/72 scale - Piper Apache - (Start 28 Sep 2013 - Completed 28 Feb 2015)

Started by lastvautour, October 06, 2013, 07:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

The Apache has been on my mind for quite a while. I was about to start the Lockheed 10A, but saw the Apache drawing while researching the 10A. Regardless, this will be 1/72 "ID Plus" level of detail. Wood has been selected and the fuselage and horizontal tail feathers have been rough cut.

Lou

P.S. A word of caution. The side view in the original download image is too large for the top and front views. Measure measure measure!!!! I did a cut and paste to reduce the side view to coincide with the 1/72 scale intended.

Balsabasher

Lou I used to look after a full sized Piper Apache registered G-AREW in 1963,a very well built and lovely aeroplane,look forward to seeing how you get on with this one,also maintained a Piper Aztec as well which I had a flight in.
Barry.

lastvautour

Barry, I located a photo of G-AREW at http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1328743/.
I sent the photographer a request to post the picture in this post.

Lou

Balsabasher

Well done for locating this Lou,it went to Switzerland in the end,may even build one now as a solid myself now you have found this,amazing find !
Barry.

lastvautour

Barry, I have secured permission to post the picture of G-AREW. The following is a quote from Mr. Bill Teasdale:

Responding on behalf of the family of the late Peter Fitzmaurice, you are
welcome to use his photo on your website. It is their wish that his photos are used wherever possible, in his memory.

Very best regards

Bill Teasdale

Mr. Fitzmaurice's picture will be the inspiration for my Apache colour scheme.

Lou
P.S. Barry may I assume the dark sections are red?

Balsabasher

G-AREW Apache,colours as follows-

Overall colour is light yellow,almost a canary yellow but not bright yellow,white colour is outlined with black trim,every thing else is black on those dark areas.

What a lovely reply to your request, a real sharing community.

Barry.

lastvautour

I sent Mr. Teasdale my thanks and a link to this thread.

Lou

lastvautour

The first attempt did not fair out to well. I am now building once again from scratch using proper(I hope) drawings. For some reason I messed up again. Oh well, live and learn. Here are the new parts.

Lou

Balsabasher

Well number two has certainly got the right sit and look about it Lou,perhaps you can salvage the other Apache too !
Barry.

lastvautour

The wings are 2.5cm too short and the fuselage a few mm to narrow. Don't know what I did but it just did not have the Apache look.

Lou

lastvautour

Attempting to rescue the Piper Apache from the scrap box. It still does not have the look I am looking for. The forward fuselage has been reworked somewhat and the windscreen needs a rounder shape. I hate giving up on a project.

Lou

Peter

Don't give up on it make into a speculative design of your own.

Peter

lastvautour

lastvautour

Closer but not there yet. Leading edge extensions added as well as wheels.

Lou

lastvautour

Slightly sharper forward fuselage. Still need a bit of shaping.

Lou