• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/48 Scale DH-100 Vampire - Blue Devils..................(Completed 24 Feb 2014)

Started by lastvautour, May 23, 2013, 07:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

I have not had the nerve to remove the masking tape yet. See those lighter spots on the left wing. Although the paint is still wet, I think that is going to be a problem area. Being on the bottom, I may have to look the other way and carry on or sand the area and start the paint process over again. I will remove the tape later tonight or wait for Santa to do it and hope for the best.

Lou

Balsabasher

It looks like the paint has sunk at certain points Lou,silver is a nuisance for this and it happened to me as well with the Meteor,do not be in any hurry to sand it as silver takes weeks to cure off,lay the model aside for a while to fully harden that is my suggestion.

Barry.

lastvautour

Back to silver.

Balsabasher

Looking better already Lou,merely a temporary blip at Vatour Aviation Inc.

Barry.

cliff strachan

I guess I can check it out myself but Lou is that Silver " Rattle bomb" paint compatible with an underlaying of "Dope."

Cliff.

Balsabasher

It should be fine Cliff,never had any problems myself layering on rattle can paint onto dope finishes,best to seal with a grey primer as all finishes.

Barry.

lastvautour

Should not cause any problems. I have used spray bombs when I was building flying models and never had any problems. Now the use of hot glow fuel on freshly painted surfaces is a different story.

Lou

cliff strachan

Thanks Gentlemen. Will try it out soon ie. as soon as  I can.
Lou, it just occurred to me that while you've already done the "Shephard" now you've done the DH Jet - the Vampire - that the CBC and Allan Maitland have been playing over Christmas the last few years. I was fortunate to hear it again this Christmas Eve - for about the sixth time. I think it's pretty good.

Cliff.

Balsabasher

Yes hot glow fuel is like paint stripper Lou,I remember spending hours fuel proofing engine bays but it still rotted the wood eventually,the nitromethane is lethal stuff it nearly poisoned me as it soaks into your skin like hydraulic fluid does,I only build and fly electric models these days,clean and safe.

Barry.

Oceaneer99

I usually use dope or lacquer based sealers and primers. Enamel or acrylics go over them with no problem. However, dope will bubble an underlying enamel coat if you try the other way around.

Garet

cliff strachan

Thanks Garet. That's pretty much what I was looking for. Now if I can just get moving.
Cliff.

lastvautour

Sanding silver is a pain but necessary. Let us look closer and see grey primer, red primer, blue paint, silver paint and red paint.

Lou

cliff strachan

O.K. I give up! But Lou why are you sanding the silver? I've never done it and I thought it wasn't necessary. Good grief, what next!

Cliff.

Balsabasher

The Vampire of many previous colours.

Barry.

lastvautour

I had to sand the silver because the blue and red area left a ridge that needed to be removed. That could not be done without sanding some silver so I figured I might as well do it all to ensure the same texture on the entire model. I will attempt to get some Testor spray silver. I recall it gave a smooth although matt finish. Once the trim colours are painted, the entire model will be glossed over and decals applied.

Lou