• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/48 Scale DH-100 Vampire - Blue Devils..................(Completed 24 Feb 2014)

Started by lastvautour, May 23, 2013, 07:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

The second Vampire had some work done on it this weekend. I am planning the Blue Devil scheme.

http://aerobaticteams.net/rcaf-blue-devils.html
Lou

lastvautour

Major parts are rough cut and just pressure fit for photo op.

Lou

buccfan

You've certainly been busy Lou, looking good. Regards Paul.

lastvautour

Thank you Paul, I have my hands full and just starting to insulate my basement so this summer should be quite productive.

Lou

lastvautour

Some sanding on the booms have begun using medium grit for now. Toothpick just used as a wedge.

Lou

lastvautour

Booms attached and partially contoured. Detailed carving needed to finish in the vertical fins and stabilizer fairings. I anticipate being ready for stabilizer early next week.

Lou

buccfan

Looking forward to the colour scheme, I'd not heard of the Blue Devils before,Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

Most people have not. There were quite a few small demonstration team during the 50s that never left their immediate areas. There is a list at http://aerobaticteams.net/teams.html It may not be complete but it is the best I have seen to date.

Lou

lastvautour

buccfan

Thanks for the links Lou, thats a nice looking scheme. Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

The paint is actually dark blue but comes out medium blue with the flash from the camera. Regardless, some progress.

Lou

Balsabasher

I had the same thing happen to me on the Caproni jet,the blue changes colour,its going to look really good in that interesting scheme Lou.
Barry.

lastvautour

The Blue Devils have a red cheat line on the outside of the blue. It would have been very hard to see once the Vamp was in the air. So once the blue had cured a few days, the red was sprayed on. In another few days narrow tape will mask the red outline. I would have preferred doing this in decal film, however the film I use does not stretch or flex very well and applying it to the nose section would have been impossible even with decal solutions.

Lou

Balsabasher

Its a real challenge painting and decalling solid models,this Vampire is no exception.

Barry.

buccfan

How did your cheat lines turn out Lou? .Regards Paul J.