• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Memoriam - My Cousin Andre . . . .. ....... ............ .(Completed 4 Sep 2013)

Started by lastvautour, April 03, 2013, 07:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

My cousin Andre lived next door to us. He was 7 years older and a master model builder. I was fortunate enough to be the recipient of three of his creations. The first was a high wing Piper/Cessna. Once in the late 1950s, I assembled wooden boxes used to pack smoke fish. We were paid a penny a box in those days. Andre agreed make me an airplane if I made boxes in his name. I probably did not make many but I did get an F-86 made from, what else, pack box material. I loved that plane and kept it until I left for the Air Force. The last was a mystery plane when he left to join the Royal Canadian Navy as a stoker. It was by far the best I had ever seen. He did not tell me that is was just his imagination at work. The mystery airplane kept me searching books and later the internet trying to find information on it. It remained an inspiration for me until meeting him at his father's (Uncle Charlie) 100th birthday party where he admitted he had dreamed up the model just for his enjoyment. I will attempt to honour him by making a replica of one of the models he gave me.

Lou

cliff strachan

A very interesting story, Lou.  I might add an interesting boat too. No wonder you work so fast with such a devotion to modelling. There really is more to modelling than appears at first.

Cliff.

lastvautour

I have placed my solid model tools away on a number of times but was always driven to come back to solids. Passion, enthusiasm or just a nut case. It is hard to rationalize the compulsion.

Lou

cliff strachan

Lou I sincerely doubt that "nut case" describes your dedication. More likely it's a case of periodically being overly involved. If you will permit me for the moment in economics terms its about where you feel yourself being on the "marginal utility" curve. It is the same motivation as to how we are able to quit smoking - or sweets or whatever. In other words perhaps periodically you might benefit from a break. Only I hope it's just a short break for the group really needs you. Your modells are exceptional and an inspiration to all members of SMM.

However, I personally feel that the group seems to be falling away as it were; few members have been responding as they used to. Perhaps it might be that Solid Scale, unlike the more popular form, simply takes too long or too much of one's scarce time. This matter should be dealt with very soon.

In the meantime, take heart. Your devotion is needed.
Cliff.

Balsabasher

What a lovely personal story Lou,never forget that your models and passion are an inspiration to us all so you had better not lay back your solid modelling tools ever !

We all have lovely stories to tell and thats what makes our builds so individual,sometime in the past we looked up and saw an aeroplane that set us off to build it as a model with our very own hands,the seeds were sown,today things are a bit different with children who go on holidays in these aluminium tubes that all look the same ? flying is so matter of fact and the airliners lack real character,but take a 1930's radial engined biplane and its another thing,so full of character.

I guess the golden years have gone but it is up to us to keep the germ of creating individual models alive as we do,I still know that people look in awe at what has been achieved,especially that excellent poster that Lou created a while back.
Barry.

cliff strachan

Barry, your thoughts as expressed are what Solid modeling is all about. I can't help feel that such expressions are what may sadly be lacking in our Group at this time.

lastvautour

I made a collage of what approximates the aircraft cousin Andre gave me. The attached photo(?) will be turned into suitable drawings.

Lou

lastvautour

Continuing along in the same method as the first drawing, I have scaled things down to 1/72 scale. The original was probably somewhere around 1/48. The model did not have any undercarriage, so that portion is still undecided.

Lou

buccfan

I can see why you didn't have any luck with your websearch, is the nose from a B-57?. It's an interesting mix, looking forward to seeing your progress. Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

Let us see now, CF-100, A-1, F-84 ME-262.

Lou

lastvautour

Other than selecting a few blocks of wood, no progress has been made. I have recent been told that Andre's ship while he served in the Royal Canadian Navy was HMCS Lanark. The Lanark is a Prestonian Class Frigate. She was a River Class Frigate decommissioned in at the end of WWII and re-commissioned after modifications to the new class in 1956. Her wartime pennant was K669 followed by 321 when Andre served on board. Being a Canadian ship, little info is available but we will do the best we can. I need to get my butt in gear as a ceremony honour him is schedule for mid summer.

Lou

A link to HMCS Lanark is provided.
http://www.forposterityssake.ca/Navy/HMCS_LANARK_K669_321.htm

buccfan

Are you making the ship as well Lou? regards Paul J.

lastvautour

Yes I am. I started by cutting two hulls. Now how long it takes to complete is anyone's guess.

Lou

lastvautour

Keeping busy! Two hulls carved but need some sanding. Engine plugs glued together for sanding to side looking shape.

Lou

buccfan

Nice Lou, you are working like a man on a mission at the moment, multi tasking!!!! Regards Paul J.