• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

SS Explorer - 1/350 scale ...............................(Completed 18 Jul 2013)

Started by lastvautour, March 17, 2013, 02:44:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Marsh, what did you use for rigging cables. I am trying heat stretched plastic rods but it is extremely fragile. The crane arms are glued and free standing but they look bare without cables. being an ID ship, everything will eventually be sea grey.

Lou

lastvautour

A quote from Wikipedia - Empire Explorer was a 5,985 GRT cargo liner which was built by Swan, Hunter and Wigham Richardson Ltd, Newcastle upon Tyne. Launched in 1925 as Inanda for T & J Harrison, Liverpool. Hired in July 1940 by the Royal Navy for use as an ocean boarding vessel, but sunk on 7 September 1940 in an air raid at London Docks. Salvaged and rebuilt as a cargo ship. To MoWT in 1941 and renamed Empire Explorer. Torpedoed on 9 July 1942 and sunk by U-575 off the West Indies.

The finished model represents an ID ship of an Empire Cargo Liner and not necessarily SS Explorer. The model will join the other ID Fleet collection ships. The fleet now stands at 8 including Garet's PT Boat he built back in 2007.

Lou

lastvautour

lastvautour

buccfan

Excellent work as always Lou, your fleet is growing at a pace.Best regards Paul J.

lastvautour

Thank you Paul. How is that build for your friend coming along?

Lou

buccfan

I am still up to my eyeballs in work on the house, I have managed a bit on the F18 but not a lot, the Bucc for my friend is still a dream at the moment, I have been sorting out the decals, but I did warn him it may be a while, he said he wasn't in a hurry for it so no pressure (yet). Regards Paul J. PS, you will have to make a sign for lighthouses to go next to Deb's Afghans !!

lastvautour

Marsh

Lou, just on to your page two today (of SS Explorer) a very nice job, a proper Solid Model as always.
ATB  Marsh.

lastvautour