• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/48 De Havilland DH-100 Vampire Mk 3 ..(Completed 19 Apr 2013)

Started by lastvautour, February 06, 2013, 05:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

I can find pictures of the Mk 3 but no good drawings. There are many drawings of the Mk 5 which has a smaller wing. Our gallery shows a Mk 1. and many Mk 5 and 9 are available. Does anyone have a decent Mk3 drawing?

Lou

lastvautour

Excellent Will. They will do the trick.

Lou

lastvautour

Wood has been selected and a fuselage template has been cut. Nothing worth photographing yet.

Lou

lastvautour

The fuselage wood is actual 1" thick pine taken from a scrap being thrown out. The booms and flying surfaces are left over pieces when my next door neighbour replaced his windows last fall. All very high quality wood pine. Since one was going up, why not two??

Lou

buccfan

It's nice to get some solid bit of pine in decent sizes, a lot of it today is edge glue laminated and tends to cup. Not too much of a problem if you're reducing the thickness, but a pain if you're not. Looking forward to your next installment as always.Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

Rough cut.

Lou

lastvautour

The first set of pieces have been block carved. I am debating going ahead with the first rather than bringing the second Vampire to this stage.

Lou

lastvautour

Contour carving started.

Lou

Boomerang

Looking  great Lou.
    A Vampire is on my list ( a bit further down the track).
    The CO of 25 SQN had his painted overall post office red .

Cheers   

cliff strachan

It really is nice, Lou. It makes me want to get started again. I don't know about anyone else but there are a lot of guys out there that I 'm certain I could learn a lot from. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink. 'nuf said!

Cliff.

Mark Braunlich

Looks good Lou. What's the scale?

Mark

lastvautour

cliff strachan

Lou, I guess this might be slightly off topic but I was looking again at your L19 ( perhaps its an L14 ) in the Gallery and was wondering what scale it is and how you made the windscreen. The windscreen has a definite "glass" effect which together with the overall model is great.
Cliff.

lastvautour

I think you mean the L-4. The windows and windscreen are matt black covered with several applications of either Krylon gloss clear or Future wax . With so many it is hard to remember which was done with what.

Lou