• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Douglas DC-3 1/72 Scale .................................(Completed 6 Nov 2012)

Started by lastvautour, September 08, 2012, 08:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cliff strachan

Lou, those decals are really neat. Especially the RCAF along the fuselage.Do they have an intentional appearance of "shadow" or black lines behind the actual lettering? It gives it a pleasing look of depth. In fact as I'm currently in the process of trying to make decals perhaps you could tell us how this affect was accomplished.

Cliff.

lastvautour

I used Word Art from Office 97 with AmerilloUSAF font and the shadow feature from MS Word.

Works pretty good.

Lou

Peter

Looks awesome Lou! Are the windows and door decals as well?

Peter

buccfan

That's  great Lou, it's got a real vintage look to it,  well done.Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

Thank you all. The windows and door are decals as well as the top of the stand decoration. The stand is also fitted with felt on the bottom to prevent any scratches to whatever surface the model is placed. All that is  needed is a light coat of future to seal the decals and the project is done. I tried taking pictures with the old camera but that is not working out. The new camera will be used to photograph it tomorrow and hopefully the sun will shine so it can be done outdoors.

Lou

lastvautour

A coat of future has been applied to seal the decals and the gift is ready for presentation in two weeks.

Lou

Mark Braunlich

buccfan

Great model with a real vintage look, I'm sure your friend will be well pleased to receive it. do you spray or brush your Future coats Lou ?, I have used it for dipping canopies but never for brushing because I thought it was a bit runny. Best regards Paul J.

lastvautour

I use a sponge. Actually it is a sponge materiel from floor underlay that I cut up into whatever size I need. Make sure you squeeze most of the wax out before applying due to the problem you describe. It runs like crazy if applied even just a bit to much.

Lou
PS, I have just over 100 sq ft of the stuff.

buccfan

Thanks for the info Lou, you won't be looking for a new supply any time soon then!!!. Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

My friend John was very pleased with his birthday gift. It came as a complete surprise. We had cake and talked airplanes(what else??) a bit. If you look close you can see a teary eye.

Lou

buccfan

Happy belated birthday Lou, you will have to do a bit more carving to work off the cake!!. I am sure your friend was pleased with his gift, it was an excellent job. Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

The second C-47 in Canadian Armed Forces colours has been rolled out.

Lou

lastvautour

Additional views with a look at the Air Transport Command fleet.

Lou

cliff strachan

Very remarkable models. Are they all to the same scale, Lou? And what scale are they? Decals really make a model but perhaps you've elected an entirely different method to paint your fleet. I look forward to any hints you may offer.
Cliff.