• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Douglas DC-3 1/72 Scale .................................(Completed 6 Nov 2012)

Started by lastvautour, September 08, 2012, 08:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

I will have to get his misses alone and find out. Thanks for the tip.

lou

lastvautour

Filet is carved and bits and pieces attached to the nacelles. I still need exhaust stacks.

Lou

buccfan

filet blends in well Lou, and I think the engines look great. I see you have done spinning props. I did mine last night but with mixed results. The sanding didn't turn out too bad, but the painting of the warning circles didn't work. The paint wouldn't spread evenly when spinning,and ended up blotchy. Also the edges of the frog tape left a sticky residue behind which doesn't want to come off easily. I may have another go. Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

I also tried the warning stripe as can be seen in the above photo. I decided to go with just the plain edge for now. There is some paint at the shop that is see through in various colours. I will look into that later next week. As for now I took comparison shots of other RCAF transport aircraft and one with an Airfix 1/72 Dak.

buccfan

It would look great in the same livery as the other transports Lou, and looks excellent next to its relation. Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

Dakota # 2 is well on her way with all parts rough cut and the fuselage carving having a good start. I purchased some clear polyurethane and have began experimenting with it. If it works out, the gift Dak will be coated clear over pine and decals will be affixed as per RCAF fashion.

Lou

lastvautour

The gloss poly did not work out for me as I could not hide the putty marks I made. I may still try on Dakota # 2 as I am being careful to have the pieces fit tightly.

Progress shots of Dak # 2 attached.

Lou

buccfan

Looking good Lou, that was the only reservation I had when Barry said I should try it on one of mine because of the wood grain, I don't think I am good enough with the joints to try it, who knows maybe one day. Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

I have one that really worked out well and that is my Spitfire. I had another a Cessna 310 (Gave away to Pete).

Lou

buccfan

I must admit they do look great when the grain is showing, I do like tht Spitfire Lou. Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

John's Dak is about ready for decals. Old fashion shellac is being used to some success. I like the look of old. I hope the decals work out. My personal Dak is currently in the paint shop having a few coats of primer applied.

Lou

Peter

I like the shellac Lou. I assume model is pine?

Peter

lastvautour

Pine is all I can find and afford and it has served me well since the early 1950s but then I would not want to date myself.

Lou

cliff strachan

Hi Lou. On your Dak "the look of old" is really neat. The whole model is very nicely done. But "the look of old" is - well something that is not generally admired. Stick around awhile - you'll know what I mean.  ;)

Cliff.

lastvautour

No need to wait Cliff. Cracks are already starting to show and I don't mean model. Here are some shots of my home made decals. I thought of using some spare box plastic model decals for the flash, but I did not think it would fit in so I need to buy a new printer cartridge and do my own where the white will become clear and the wood will show through like the roundels.

Lou

Pete Morro who always finishes his model in varnish of some sort is coming for a visit tomorrow afternoon. Should be some interesting discussions on the subject.