• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/32 Fairey Flycatcher Started March 2012 Completed 5th April 2020

Started by Boomerang, January 12, 2015, 01:04:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boomerang

I'm revisiting those models which I've started and have been sidetracked by other things which precluded rapid finishing.

Managed to get some time recently on the Flycatcher.

Have had the undercarriage made for some time ( sitting in a jig after soldering).
  Removed from the jig and dry fitted to rest of model. Wasn't satisfied with the wheels that I had made previously
  so a new set was made.
  Picture to follow.

Gordon

Boomerang

The undercarriage in the jig.

Boomerang

Dry fit of undercarriage and lower wing.

lastvautour

Your engines are so realistic. Nice work Gordon.

Lou

Boomerang

I've made two of these. The other is in storage waiting for a Siskin to be built around it.

Gordon

Boomerang

Some progress on the Flycatcher in between other things.

Wing ribs have been simulated with trimmed to size "sticky paper labels" followed by 4-5 coats of primer.

Propeller has been given a coat of Burnt sienna. Cabane struts have been cut . Outer wing struts are in the process of being made.

Have to clean up the cockpit a bit.

Plastic wheel covers done.

Cheers

Gordon

buccfan

That looks amazing Gordon, engine and rib work is excellent. Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

Boomerang

Long while to get to this stage.

Gordon

Boomerang

I've done a little bit on the Flycatcher. Trying to do it in parallel with the Caproni.

I've cleaned up the cockpit a bit. Not going overboard. I'll fill it up with a pilot bust I think.
I have cut out a windscreen and made up and Aldis sight from a bit of brass rod and paper. Mounting from flattened copper wire.

The lower wing fitting has been adjusted and the undercarriage now fits better after some work.

I've added the inspection covers on the top wing from paper circles cut with a sharpened brass tube.

Wing struts nearly done.

Have to decide how to paint her up and make the necessary decals.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Awesome finish. Silver is not user friendly in my experience but seem to have nailed it. Awaiting more.

Lou

Boomerang

Thank you Lou.

Pushing on slowly.

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

Some plodding progress.
Have nearly done the fiddly bits on the fuselage.
Brass tube for air intakes. Glue stiffened paper for hatch on port side and control wire exits at rear of fuselage.
Some left over stitching decals used. headrest from balsa.

Not in the pictures but I'm having a go at making some Vickers MkII machine guns.
Perforated some aluminium ( takeaway  food tray ). Rolled around a pin the slipped over a piece of small diameter brass tube.
Receiver from scrap basswood. Lever from take way coffee cup top. Pictures to follow.

lastvautour

Very realistic finish on your fuselage.

Lou