• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

January 2014 Ping

Started by lastvautour, January 04, 2014, 04:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

The best of the New Year to all. The stats will be presented shortly.

lastvautour

To start things off, Santa placed Dusty on my Bonnie.

Lou

Balsabasher

A unique way of delivering the christmas presents to the crew,the model does not look out of place.

Barry.

Balsabasher

Waiting for warmer weather to get into the workshop and meanwhile preparing plans and templates for the projected models,the inventory looks like this-

Auster AOP.9-Sanding sealed,rubbed down awaiting more sealer.
Beaver-Lots of wet sanding done,very smooth awaiting first paint,Arctic orange scheme.
Farman F250-Sanding sealed,rubbed down awaiting primer.
Monospar ST25-Sanding sealed,rubbed down awaiting primer.
Pawnee-Primered,awaiting wet sand then more primer.
Pawnee-Primered,awaiting wet sand then more primer,yellow finish like that one in the field.
Anson-good rub down needed then more primer.
Anson-good rub down needed then more primer.
Chrislea Super Ace-Primered and stoppered all ready for a good rub down and more primer.
Edgar Percival EP9-Under construction,priming started.
Hindustan HT2-Sanding sealed and primer applied,sanded down awaiting more primer soon as weather picks up.
Auster Agricola-Templates cut
Caproni CA60-Templates cut

Next projected model-Blackburn Beverly

Barry.

lastvautour

Here are the yearly stats since coming to the new SMM site. Overall the site is doing well with more pages viewed than ever. Our membership has slowed but is still there with having attained 300 for the first time. The numbers are encouraging in some areas and need boosting in others. Let us hope that 2014 bring more new members and increased activities from our current membership.

A special thank you to Ray and Garet for looking after us so well.

Lou

lastvautour

On the bench for Jan 2014:

1/1 Control grip - Sanding
1/48 Hangar "A new beginning"
1/48 Vampire - considering sanding and re-doing paint job
1/32 CF-5A Decals
1/32 CF-5B Painting
1/32 Argus  Sanding
1/144 DC-3 Assembly - Putty - Sanding

Maybe - 1/32 L-19

Plastic
1/48 Skyraider

Lou

buccfan

Two to hopefully make in between my workload this year are another Buccaneer for a friend and a Mig 21 based on Pat Cherry's profile drawings. Regards Paul.

lastvautour

I have seen Pat's MiG 21 so that should be a good one.

Lou

buccfan

Hopefully Lou, I've not decided which of his colour schemes to do yet, but it wont be the spotty one. Regards Paul J.

Balsabasher

I will second that Lou,thank you Ray and Garet for providing the platform and infrastructure here without which Solid models would simply vanish,we may be small in number but the quality of work that is produced here is a great credit to the membership,as long as we keep building solids then it will make people realise that we are here producing our little masterpieces.

Barry.

cliff strachan

I think Barry expressed the thoughts of all SMM members very well.
Cliff.

Pete1616

Next week I'm having the curator of the Hamilton warplane heritage museum over to look at my collection. I'd like to donate my "Early Jet" collection to the museum. If this goes over well, I'll donate my "experimental aircraft" collection as well.

I'm asking for a receipt for income tax purposes and, hopefully, a museum pass for me and my family.

The warplane heritage prides itself on flying most of their collection (including a Lancaster)

They rent out the hangar  in the spring for a wood show. I thought that I could stir up some interest in SMM by setting up a bit of a booth...Any comments, pro or con?

Pete
Pete1616

Balsabasher

Pete I think that your donation of models of these historic types will be much appreciated and ensure a wider audience for your lovely unique models.

This past year a few of my own models have found new homes also in worldwide museums including the Malta air museum and the Royal Scottish museum in Edinburgh where they will be cherished and enjoyed by many people who can also view our work.

I also think your idea of promoting solid models in the foyer of the museum is a good one,anything that keeps the hobby alive and shows others that real skills still survive and are put to good use is an excellent idea.

The collection at Hamilton is world renown for its preservation miracles with old aircraft and is the perfect landing ground for your models,well done Pete for the enterprise shown.

Barry.

cliff strachan

Good luck with all your efforts, Pete. Appart from having a repository for your models, which is in itself a real benefit, you have given the Museum in Hamilton the advantage of relating some of their aircraft to the model form, or version, of some of the aircraft they have on display. This says nothing about the advertisement that SMM will attain.
Cliff.

Pete1616

The President and CEO of the Canadian Warplane Heritage visited today and was impressed with my collection (I think he's never seen such a bunch of oddball aircraft) Anyway, I've agreed to donate the early jets and the experimental aircraft to the CWH.

I'll get a receipt for income tax and a family pass to the museum. Unfortunately the wood show is at the end of this month, and I'll be in Mexico.....Oh well, there's always next year....Pete
Pete1616