• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Enamel and Acrylic... Can you use them both on the same model?

Started by Kenny Horne, February 10, 2008, 08:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny Horne

Hey guys,

What's the rule on using say Humbrol and Model Master Acrylics on the same model?  Can you paint one over the other (once dry of course) or is there a rule such as only one first then the other, or even no, never on the same?  Naturally I have some of one type and some of the other for this Sunderland.

Kenny,

ps how do you add a photo to these forum postings?

lastvautour

I most cases gloss paints should be held for last as matt paint will sometimes crack when applied over gloss. As to acrylic vs enamel vs various brands, I found that if the first colour is dry, application of another brand or type does not affect it except for lacker over enamel. for whatever reason, no matter how long you wait, lacker over enamel will give the orange peel effect. If that is the effect you want, OK but!! otherwise stay away from that combination.

Kenny Horne

Thanks Lou,

I have just painted Humbrol over acryic primer, so I'm relieved to read your post... though I couldn't figure out how to reply from that post ???

Kenny

Oceaneer99

My experience with balsa and tissue types is that you can put anything on lacquer, but lacquer will dissolve enamels below it.  This was pre-acrylic for me, so I'm not sure if lacquer does the same to acrylic.  I do use lacquer sanding sealer and have painted enamels and acrylics over that.

Enamels and acrylics seem to behave together pretty well from the little experience I have had using both together (assuming you give the first coat enough time to dry).  I'm using acrylics over enamels on my Lisa Hy-Bird.

Garet

PS Kenny, we don't have a FAQ yet on things like adding photos, but Ray has done a few how-to posts.  See:
http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/SMF/index.php?topic=50.0

teddon61

I have covered enamel with acrylics, but only after a fine sanding, I much prefer to stay away from these mixes, it merely complicates a process unnecessarily. Acrylic paint over a Gesso base is as easy as painting on a canvas, and the versitality of acrylics renders them priceless for my modeling.
When painting white over a dark surface I will often add a small amount to Gesso to the white, it covers much better.
Ted Billings

cliff strachan

The above chart should prove helpful to the discussion regarding paint compatability.

Cliff