• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

The Box Project

Started by davetunison, February 12, 2008, 05:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davetunison

(Text borrowed from the old SMM site)

How can a little wooden box that fits in your shirt pocket help promote the art of solid wood modeling?

Back in "The Day" when photographs were'nt around and you could'nt call for a referal, carpenters, shipwrights and so on, made most of their own tools. These gentlemen also build ALL of a house or a ship or a piece of furniture. The were expected to build door frames, windows sashes, and shingle the roof. The way they displayed thier capabilities to a prospective client or employer was by showing them their tools and toolbox. Most bought blades and metalwork from local blacksmiths, then mounted them in handle and bodies of their own making. From wood planes and chisels, to hammers and clamps. These tools and the box they were in were carefully constructed and cared for. Being continually updated, they clearly displayed the talents of the craftsman that built them and used them. I even have a book about them.

What has this to do with our cause?

How many times have you tried to explain what a solid is? How much more it is than just a model airplane. Now think of a little box in your pocket with a few(even one) small models in it. Such as 1/144 scale airplanes, perhaps a small tank, a ship and a submarine. This Gentlemen is "The Box Project" and it will be ongoing until each of us decides that he is satisfied that his box and it's contents, fully displays his talents. As well as our hobby. No rules, just remember, if you can't carry it with you.... It must also protect the contents, for the contents are the most important thing, held in the space, that you keep in the box.

Thoughts?

-RFB

teddon61

Dave, I've read this message several times and I don't know if I "got" it or not. It seems very philosophical, and as such I think I get the message. We all have this desire to excell, and there is something to say for public acclaim; it is heart warming to have someone view your effort and express delight, but it seems to me that one must first satisfy himself, you can't fail if you are pleased with your own work, but it could be devestating to have others put it down.
If I misinterpreted your intent, at least I learned to spell a few new words.
Ted Billings

lastvautour

Ted, I took my 1/350 Tracker to Monday night darts and had a lot of people look and comment. I think the idea is to generate interest in the hobby by showing that it is not all that hard to do. My Tracker is by no means perfect but people were able to tell what it was and some even offered advice on finishing and markings. I think I have a potential new carver in the bunch. I hope to peek his interest to trying a simple project of his choice.

davetunison

Ted,
   I borrowed Ray's essay about the box project from the old SMM site and pasted it in here. He may want to add a new comment. It seemed like a good idea, to create a pocket sized handmade box with tools and a sample of solid model carving included in it as a portable way to promote the hobby. It's not supposed to be conceptual art or anything, is it? 8).

To date it seems nobody has tried to make one. I've only gotten as far as keeping my tools in an old cigar box. Any advice for avoiding nicked blades? :'( 

Oceaneer99

Dave,

Funny you should mention the nicked blades.  I bought some canvas over the weekend to make a tool roll.  The first one will probably be for my files, which are just sitting in a drawer of my tool box, piled on each other (bad, bad, I've been told).

I once asked Ray about the box project, and he told me he left it fairly vague, so that we could interpret it as we liked. put together a "prototype" box from a small pencil case while I was carving my 1/288 Heinkel.  The box had tools, plans, and the materials in it.

Another possibility would be a small box with parts showing the steps needed to make a (small) model.

I have a small collection of antique finger-jointed wooden boxes, so I *like* interesting boxes.  I just haven't figured out how I want to approach the Box Project yet.

Garet

Kenny Horne

I'm in

I've got a bit of an idea and am going with it.  Not sure what it's all about, but I'll get back to you when I 've got some pictures.

Is that vague enough...

Seriously

Kenny

Oceaneer99

Kenny, You've made more boxes than all of us combined!

Garet

Kenny Horne

Ya, but this one will be an un-box...

Here is what I've been working on, the Mustang will go in my box.

Kenny

ok so I'm not yet qualified to post pictures.  Honestly, computers are simply better than I am :(

Kenny Horne

Further on now,

I still need some touch up paint, exhaust paint, and yellow leading edges, plus some decals.  But she's coming.  Getting models into a box to fit a shirt pocket (I suspect I'll have to build a accommodating shirt next  ::)) is a bit of a challenge.  I've built a couple of teenie ones before, but never painted them.  My hats of to Lou, Garet and all you others who have done this. 

Take Care
Kenny

teddon61

Lou, when you mentioned Monday night darts it brought back a lot of memories for me, I played on several teams after getting out of the Army, as I recall, it was great fun.
Just a thought, to call attention to the hobby at darts, make an early X plane, like the X-15, put a large needle in it's nose and make a home run with it, everyone will notice, imagine the conversations that would cause!
Just a feeble attempt at humor, couldn't resist situation.
Taking examples of our work to social gatherings is a good way to get the message out, there will almost always be someone interested enough to ask questions, perhaps the thought of solids never occured to them.

Ted Billings

R.F.Bennett

I think this is a realy cool idea. An SMM dart board? What planes would work best? Box?  ::)  :o
"The Dude Abides"

R.F.Bennett

Not going to do that again! Just a mental note. Popping in a reply to a message in the middle of the board seems to have deleted the rest of it.  ???
"The Dude Abides"

Oceaneer99

I ran across some small book-kits ("mini-kits") by Running Press at the stationery store last week. Most of them were pretty odd, but the kit "Fly-Tying with Expert Tips" got me thinking about the box project.

It is a small kit with instructions and materials for making a fishing lure. 
http://www.perseusbooksgroup.com/runningpress/book_detail.jsp?isbn=0762418591

I imagined a small box with all the parts to build a small model.  This isn't far from what Craft-o-Kit used to sell!

Garet

lastvautour

A box of Ferrero Rocher makes an ideal display case once the treat has been consumed of course. Having diabetes does not help but a friend really enjoys them. The bottom is just make shift right now so I can take it to a dart tournament tomorrow afternoon.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-1066

spider web

I just stumbled across this box project.

I am using an old, flat cigar box in which I carry three solid, WWII ship recognition models.  In most circles I'm as politically incorrect as one can be. I love the raised eyebrows when I offer someone a cigar, only to fool them when I open the box.
Most think they're just the average, plain old plastic models until I take them out and show them.  "You made these ?", is their first question....from there on it's fun explaining how the models were made.

The Spider ;D ;D ;D