• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Chuck Yeager dies at 97

Started by Gearup, December 08, 2020, 07:03:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gearup

Chuck Yeager has died at 97 years today in California as reported by CNN.  An incredible pilot who truly earned the title of legendary.

I was at Edwards AFB in November 2002 when they held that first airshow there after 911. I actually saw and heard Yeager break the sound barrier that day. He was apparently 79 years old at the time. After passing through the water salute and shutting down, he addressed the crowd of maybe a few thousand people. He then passed directly by me with his detail surrounding him and I snapped a picture with my cheapie digital camera. I was surprised how slight he was, but he certainly earned the swagger in his walk.

I can say that was one of my aviation highlights.

Fraser

lastvautour

A true inspiration for all who love aviation.

Lou

Jim

A man of extraordinary depth, breadth, public awareness and, somewhat surprisingly, compassion...

In May 1994 I was working as the newly installed public relations director for the New York State Police in Albany, NY, when a young investigator named Ricky Parisian was shot and killed while trying to stop a gunman in the act of robbing his neighborhood grocery store. He was the first State Trooper killed in the line of duty during my time there, and naturally we were all overcome with shock, grief and gloom.

Then, about two days later, as expressions of sympathy and condolence began coming in, I was surprised when one of my assistants, who'd been handling the mail, approached me with an envelope and letter.

The stationery was distinctive, featuring the images of a P-51 Mustang and a Bell X-1. That caught my eye instantly! The letter, short and to the point, asked us to accept his heartfelt sympathy to us as an agency, and to the fallen trooper's wife in particular.

How about that? A retired Air Force general, a bona fide war hero and aviation pioneer, a man about whom bestseller books and mega-hit Hollywood movies have been written, took the time to mark the tragedy of a slain Trooper in rural upstate New York, and write to express his his sympathy and support.

I'll never forget that. Chuck Yeager will always be a special icon to me.
And so it goes...