• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

2nd hawker hurricane 1:50 scale

Started by Biggles, March 23, 2014, 06:26:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggles

this plane is not yet finished, I am still trying to find something to use for a fillet! I cut the wing recess to deep so am trying to fill it up with scrap wood.
Biggles
John 15:13

Biggles

Biggles

Biggles

Balsabasher

Biggles get yourself a pack of DAS Modelling material,you can easily make up fillets with this,just press a rolled strip into the wing to fuselage joint and wet your finger shaping and moulding it,then allow it to dry,remove the fillet which does not stick to wood and glue it back again,all of my fillets are made this way,art shops sell it plus EBay stores,once you open the bag seal it well by taping up otherwise its air drying qualities will be very apparent with a soilid lump within days,its cheap and works really well,best of luck with your interesting projects.
Barry.

Biggles

thanks Barry, what color is it?
Biggles

Balsabasher

Its white but it can be painted easily,it sands well too.
Barry.

Biggles

thanks, I do not think it would work for un-paited models. ;)
biggles

Will

Quote from: Biggles on March 23, 2014, 06:26:23 AM
this plane is not yet finished, I am still trying to find something to use for a fillet! I cut the wing recess to deep so am trying to fill it up with scrap wood.
Biggles
My local hardware store sells little tubes of wood filler.  Cellulose based, I think it's for furniture repair and comes in various shades, pine, oak etc.  It says it can be stained to match the wood, I only used it for fillets on balsa to be painted.

Biggles

thanks Will! will have a look. I found some stuff called 'Agnew's water putty", dose anyone use it?
Biggles

lastvautour

Hello Biggles. Did you ever finish this project. I am considering making one and was wondering how you made out.

Lou

Olli

Sorry for my english

Biggles

Hi lou, sorry I haven't been active and only just saw your post. I didn't finish it past what you see if the photos, and the vertical stab has been broken off. the fuse is the only thing on it I was happy with, so I may re-make the wings and tail at some point. Very busy with school and work (building RC models) at the moment, but thanks for the interest!

Olli, Thanks!

Abe

lastvautour

Good to hear back. Mine has gone the block stage but a persistent cold has kept me away from the workbench for the last two weeks. Did you resolve your filet issue. I use wood filler like Will suggested. The colour does not matter to me as I paint most of my models.

Lou

Biggles

Lou, I used PVA mixed with wood dust but it didn't work well. I plan to use some wood putty for my ASK 21 fillets.

Hope your better soon!