• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Continuation of the P-40 Group Build

Started by lastvautour, January 14, 2011, 05:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

From now on I will attempt to place photos with text.

P-40 Tail group Construction.

lastvautour

lastvautour

Mark off 1/3 of the main wing as per the top photo. This should coincided with the thickest part of the wing so check the template. Place another line approx 1/8 of an inch from the leading edge. Place another line on the front face of the wing approx 1/16 inch from the bottom. remove the material between the top and front line and round off the wing to match the template. Remember to take it slow and not to take too much off at once. I have scrapped many a piece by hurrying.

lastvautour

Do the same at the rear of the wing but instead of 1/16 inch leave just 1/32 inch and watch the blade as the wing will be pretty thin at this point. I prefer to use a wide blade such as a chisel or the blade from a planer. Once shaved done to your satisfaction sand the rest to fit the saddle in the fuselage.

lastvautour

You may have noticed I skipped the fuselage cutting. Here it is. I use my chisel to remove the big chucks. The use of a knife works as well blade. The third photo i used a no 11 blade to get close in to make the cutout for the wing. A bigger blade is awkward in this area. Note the wing is not shaped in this photo. I should have given you the fuselage first. Sorry!!! Just checking if you are paying attention!

lastvautour

Bits and pieces are next. Use scrap and if you mess one up, just get another piece of scrap. The undercarriage blisters are the fourth pair for me. I usually cut several of the small pieces and use the one that fits best. I have two top fuselage scoops of different sizes. I will sand until I get the desired effect, but that is another post. I have gone so far and will be working on other projects for a few days. Let me know when you catch up.

Lou

lastvautour

Dave, I cannot find a picture of your P-40. Would you send me one?
Barry, looking at your drawings you are doing a P-40B Tomahawk/Warhawk.
Peter, how are things coming along?

Lou

lastvautour

Please note I added Brett's and Kenny's P-40 to the first post of this thread.
http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/SMF/index.php?topic=688.0

Balsabasher

Yes Lou it is a P-40 Warhawk done from a very similar plan in 'Aircraft of The Fighting Powers' the plan just happened to be handy in my workshop at the time,I thought that by tagging along with a balsa example it would be interesting for Peter to compare techniqes,as you can see one has a hollowed cockpit and I used the plug to mould a canopy for that one,the other will be finished as a black ID and may be converted/painted one day to go along with your excellent ID Plus idea.
Having built quite a few plastic models of the P-40 I have to say that this one is more fun than any of those,the satisfaction of carving just cannot be beaten but I know that I am preaching to the converted Lou !
I need to make the undercarriage fairings and radiator fairing next to fit into place as you have done on your model.
Barry.

Peter

Hi Lou,

I have the wing to about where you are. I am going to make the tail tomorrow. Then I will work on the fuselage. One thing I learned from the Spitfire, was that I was to timid when carving the fuselage, especially around the cockpit area. So that is one of the areas I'll be watching on the P-40. I'll post a photo tomorrow.

Peter

lastvautour

Spinner and front fuselage.

lastvautour

The rear fuselage was tapered as per the drawing. followed by adding lines to facilitate the center/rear fuselage shaping. Draw a line where the thickest part of the upper half of the fuselage. I don't have a picture, but I next drew two lines on top the width of the center windcreen piece. I then removed the material to shape the fuselage. Next round and smooth things out. Replace the canopy lines for later.

Jim

Lou:

I notice that you use a chisel a lot in your work. Do you ever work with a plane?  I have several little model-maker's-sized planes and a little razor plane that I find work well for me. I'm not so good with a chisel...
And so it goes...

lastvautour

I have a small and medium size plane but prefer to use a chisel.

Lou

lastvautour

The spinner is carved as part of the fuselage. Run your blade around the spinner and carefully remove material until it is rounded. Finish off by sanding.