• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Schweizer 1-21 (formerly 1-32)

Started by Jim, July 17, 2012, 06:49:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim

Finally finished with the Schweizer glider/sailplane project for the museum. Never thought I'd get this done. One delay after another. But now it's on to other things. For the record, here's a couple pix...
And so it goes...

cliff strachan

Very nice model of a type that I don't think we have seen many before. Even, if I may be so bold, there are likely not too many plastic models in this genre. Good for you again. Perhaps you are able to provide more detail as why you chose this aircraft to model. Did you ever personally fly this aircraft sometime in the past?

Cliff

lastvautour

Very nice finish. On the first pic you can see the reflection of the tail. Nicely done.

Lou

Jim

Perhaps you are able to provide more detail as why you chose this aircraft to model. Did you ever personally fly this aircraft sometime in the past?

No special reason, Cliff. I just happened to find a plan for it. Don't even remember where it came from. The folks at the museum wanted three models for an exhibit on Schweizer Aircraft (which is/was based in Elmira, New York), an Ag-Cat and a couple gliders representative of the company's military and civilian sailplanes. It took a while, but I managed to locate plans for the Ag-Cat and the TG-3A, and built those. The only (free) plans I could find online for the civilian sailplanes were for the 1-26 -- which lacked any cross-sectional details -- and the 1-32. So I used the latter. Here it is...

And, no, alas, I'm not a pilot...
And so it goes...

lastvautour

Buried somewhere in my papers is the plans for a flying 1-26. If you wish I will hunt for them.

Lou

Jim

Thanks, Lou, but I hope I'm done with sailplanes and gliders for a good, long while. Frankly, I don't find them all that interesting. As I said, I had this plan for a 1-26, but as it had no cross-sections to show the fuselage shape, I decided it wasn't worth pursuing.

I think my next subject will be a PBY. I've been talking with the museum bosses about an idea I had for building some models they can sell as fund-raising items in the gift shop. That should keep me busy -- off the streets and out of the pool halls!
And so it goes...

cliff strachan

Thanks Fingers for the info. I'm guessing but at least the first set of 3views that you provided were originally provided by Air Trails . And - only for interest - I once was an Air Cadet in the Air Cadet glider programme at Netley Airport about the year 1946 when they used a Schweitzer S-21 - I think. Just say that I didn't advance - time and space prohibits a more illustrious and detailed account.
Cliff.

Peter

Nicely done Fingers. I have always wanted to try a sail plane but just never found the time. My youngest son is thinking of joining the Royal Canadian Aircadets. If he does join, maybe I will build him a model.

Peter

Jim

Thank you for the kind words, gents...

I've never flown in a sailplane, but my 89-year-old mother-in-law has! Several times in the last couple years, my wife and sister-in-law have driven her to the nearby Saratoga County Airport, where there's a soaring club, and paid for her to take a ride with one of the pilots. She really enjoyed her flights, and the club members get a big bang out of taking "the old lady" up!

She also rode the bobsled down the Olympic run at Mt. Van Hovenberg in Lake Placid at the age of 85!
And so it goes...

lastvautour

Peter, if your thinking of doing an Air Cadet L-19 let me know. It is on my to-do list.

Lou

cliff strachan

Peter, here's hoping that your son does join the Air Cadets. They have a very good flying programme today. Much more organized than those early years just after the war. But again there was much to offer and much to remember from those early days. Something that will always stay with one.
Cliff.

lastvautour

Jim, what scale is your glider. I wrongly assumed that it was 1/32 scale due to the production number. I only realized my error when you wrote in the 1-26 model that the bell finally rang.

Lou

Peter

Hi Lou,

I haven't seen the glider they're using on the ground yet, just soaring over head of the parking lot of where I work. It does look like a L-19 from this vantage point. Should we do an Aircadet cook up ?

Peter

lastvautour

The L-19 should be the tow plane.

Schweizer  Model:SGS 2-33A is the glider.

Lou

Peter

So is that a yes to the cook up? Maybe a tow plane and glider on the same display stand? What scale?

Peter