• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Master Airbrush

Started by Ken Pugh, November 10, 2010, 02:42:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Pugh

Following the advice from the airbrush tricks forum http://www.theairbrushforum.com/, I purchased a Master Airbrush brand airbrush.  They are considerably cheaper than other quality internal mix airbrushes but are very good and easy to use.

I have spent 25 years using a Paasche external mix airbrush and could use it to good effect.  This was my first foray into internal mix.  The external mix airbrush clogs up constantly but I learned to live with it and assumed an internal would clog up more and be hard to clean.  I was wrong.

The airbrush I purchased was the G233-Set model.  This airbrush has a 1/3 oz gravity feed cup and comes with tips/needles measuring 0.2mm, 0.3mm, and 0.5mm.  The 0.3mm tip/needle is the one most people would use and is what comes with the G23 airbrush, but I liked the idea of getting all three.  It also came with a quick disconnect for the hose with a throttle valve to lower air pressure right at the brush.  http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/g233-SET.html

I delayed using this brush for several months because I just knew it would be hard to learn.  It is taking some time to get the coordination of using a dual action airbrush smoothly, but otherwise it is a piece of cake.  I have only had this thing clog once.  That's right, once, using cheap craft acrylic paints.  This airbrush stays in action where my external airbrush constantly needs attention to keep going.  I can even set it down for several minutes to get ready to paint another detail and it sprays the paint immediately.  I could never do that with the external mix, it would clog so bad I'd have to take it apart and clean it.  This airbrush is very easy to use.  I have a bathroom right next to my model room and since I use acrylic paints, I just walk in to the sink and spray water through it until it is clean.  Of course, you can use whatever method you have as a receptacle and keep thinner in a spray bottle and spray it clean that way.  You can use a Q-tip to clean out the cup.  With this cleaning, it is ready to go for the next color.  When you are completely done with your paint session, go ahead and take it apart and wipe down with thinner to get everything out.  Check for videos on You Tube or Airbrush Forum above to see people taking this type of airbrush apart and cleaning it.  It is very easy.  I also have the cheap airbrush from Harbour Freight but it clogged and is not spraying.  I haven't figured out what is wrong with it yet.  Also with the Harbour Freight airbrush, when you pull out the needle the trigger comes loose and you have to juggle all that stuff back together.  With the Master Airbrush, the trigger stays together.  Just slide out the needle, clean, and slide it back in.  Incredibly easy.

I bought this airbrush from TCP Global.  They have a great selection of paint products for a good price.  http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/

The airbrush is around $65 plus shipping, but keep in mind it has three needles/tips.  The regular G23 is about $50.  Compared with other internal mix airbrushes, that is very inexpensive.  I use it with a compressor I got from Harbour Freight for $90.

I highly recommend this airbrush if you want a good quality internal mix airbrush.

Ken Pugh