• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Kamehameha - Naval Cookup

Started by Ken Pugh, January 21, 2008, 05:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Pugh

Thanks a lot, Lou.  Lots of pride in the old girl, even though she is no longer.

Ken Pugh

Oceaneer99

Ken,

What a wonderful model!  You are right about everything being hand painted.  I wouldn't have guessed about the blue paint, but I usually stayed top-side.  ;)

I did find some of these subs are still lurking around (though not the Kamehameha; I looked):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oceaneer99/2460346907/in/photostream

Garet

Ken Pugh

Wow, what a neat display.  The Kamehameha was scrapped in Washington in 2003  so I guess she wasn't needed for that monument.  I'd like to see that but my getting there is next to impossible in what's left of my life.

I have no idea what the deal is with that paint.  It was definitely a surprise for me.  They started pumping her out at night and when I got up the next morning and went outside to look, I was shocked to see a turquoise blue bottom.  It almost looked more like a coating whereas the red just looks like paint.  Maybe there is some sound absorbing characteristics I don't know about.

I think the LA class boats were black all over because they had anechoic tiles that looked like rubber.  I was never on an attack boat, but when I was based in Groton I got to see some. 

I may have to make a model of the USS North Carolina, one of the new Virginia class boats.  She was here in town in Wilmington, NC for a christening ceremony, but she is not accessible to the public, not even for pierside viewing.  I can understand it, but when you'll let politicians see it, you can't be too concerned about security.  It is amazing how many secrets our politicians leak to the press and never bat an eye at it.  I guess I just have a different idea about patriotism than our betters.

Ken Pugh