• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Roger's Models

Started by lastvautour, September 12, 2017, 03:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Roger is an avid and well gifted modeler. He was an original contributor to the old SMM site and has decided to re-join our community.

The following is the first contribution in the form of an email to Ray.

Mr. Bennett,

Attached are a few recent shots of my latest solids. They are scratch built out of bass wood and kitchen aluminum foil. The Tri-Motor has a 7-1/2" span and the China Clipper is just over 6" in span. The display bases are scratch built out of pine and spruce plywood. I'm finishing a Dyna-Models F8F-1 Bearcat with a period correct Grumman logo base and will send shot of it when done if you are interested.

Best regards,
Roger

Lou
For Roger aka Cortny

lastvautour

As a follow up Roger sent these comments. I believe that his membership will enhance SMM. I for one look forward to his photos.

Dear Lou,

Thank you for the kind words. I will be glad to provide photos and descriptions. The best path would be for me to take up your generous offer to post them for me. I should confess that I'm severely computer challenged.

I am just now finishing up a Dyna Model Products F8F-1 Bearcat that was started years ago by someone who had the presence of mind to just return it to the box and put it on a shelf. I bought it from an estate sale about thirty years ago, and only now got around to restoring it.

Right behind it is a Monogram F-51D Super Kit (the little solid balsa and plastic gem) that was salvaged from the rubble of a fire-ravaged hobby shop in rural Oregon. It had been built by a youngster, and--again--I found myself doing a restoration. I can provide photos and commentary on each of these projects.

Solid modeling is in my blood, as that is how I learned back in the very early fifties. I have about 250 unbuilt solids that are all calling to me. My mission is to bring my years of mistakes to bear and complete each to the highest standards possible. I am seventy-one and an Industrial Designer who made his living doing international branding and historical illustration. My son and I were immersed in the restoration of vintage Shelby and Ferrari autos for many years, but the solid model bug has consumed me for the last 5 years, at least.  I still do occasional book cover original art, usually on the Southern Pacific Railroad's steam and diesel locomotives, with a vintage aircraft or race car thrown in for good measure.

Again, thank you for your offer, I will have something to you in the coming weeks.

Warmest Regards,
Roger M. Cortani, IDSA

Unquote

Lou
for Roger aka Cortny

lastvautour

Lou,

The Bearcat was completed in 2017. The StromBecKer FJ-2 cut-away was started many years ago, but completed in 2017. The Ford Tri-Motor was started and completed in 2017 as was the Martin M-130 China Clipper and Comet F9F-2. The Monogram P-51D Super Kit was started at least 30 years ago but should be done this year (?).

Best to you,
Roger

Lou
For Roger aka Cortny

lastvautour

Lou,

Some old--some new, but mostly old. --R.

Lou for Roger

Flying T

I for one would like to follow one of your builds,your work is one I will aspire to,as a kid I missed out on the solids,lived in Cleveland and did not know about  Cleveland mod co,catching up now,lets see more
FLYING T (AKA. LARRY)