• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Re: Novice - Shaping bubble canopy

Started by lastvautour, August 09, 2017, 09:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

I have removed the first portion which dealt with making the full P-51. Hereon is the Canopy build.

Lou

johnnytodd

Nakajima B5N2 Kate

I'm well into my Nakajima B5N2 Kate torpedo bomber.  My plan is to simulate an open canopy revealing the three crew positions.  When I get to that stage I'll post some detailed photos of my technique.

lastvautour

Feel free to post your progress photos. I only ask that you start your comments with "Nakajima B5N2 Kate" to avoid confusion. I will return to my post and identify them as "Mustang Mk IV'

I don't have the talent for completing cockpit interiors. I never progress much beyond the "decent accuracy - low detail" level an that suits me fine.

Lou

Rafael

Johnnytodd - I have to applaud the skill necessary to make a cockpit interior. Even with plastic models, I have tended to paint all my canopies black. That will be wonderful thing to see.

Lou - I like the way this is going. Looking to your Sabre builds, I have also seen this method and it suits me really fine. I only wish I can make it in time to bring all my stuff home -everything boxed and away from me at the moment.

I was wondering. - The same separate canopy approach of the Sabres is possible here? does it give any advantage?

Oh, and thank you for the detailed build narrative. I've found it very educative in the other cookups.

johnnytodd

Nakajima B5N2 Kate

A good technique for adding a bubble canopy (which I have used several times) is illustrated in the WW2 ID Model plans here:

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pid=966&fullsize=1

Note how they use sandpaper to mate the wing mount and side blisters to the fuselage contour.  I've used that technique for adding side blisters and canopies - most recently on this Oscar:

lastvautour

Making a separate canopy is up to individual taste.  I prefer to make a model with as few pieces as possible. I don't recall ever doing a separate canopy. It would only take a few hours so I may make one tomorrow and add it to this thread. Any preference on what aircraft is used?

Lou

johnnytodd

In the case of the Oscar I tried making the fuselage/canopy in one piece but screwed up  :o !  so this was an improvisation that turned out ok.

Lou,

Try one on the Mustang and I think you'll be pleased with how sharp the line is where the canopy meets the fuselage

lastvautour

I have been contemplating doing the same for my Spitfire Mk XVII.

LOu

lastvautour

"Mustang Mk IV Bubble Canopy"

I have elected to make a canopy section rather than the entire Mustang. I will transfer the Mustang build to my board.

First is to scale your drawing to the size you want. I used the side views and cross sections from http://drawingdatabase.com/north-american-p-51b-mustang/

Lou

lastvautour

I measure 7cm from J forward and 15mm below the horizontal panel line. draw line A. Next draw a line B that sits just on top of the fuselage. This will be the fuselage portion. The block of wood is 7cm long and 20mm thick. The last photo show where the section fits on to a full fuselage.

Lou

lastvautour

Next do the same on the reverse side and glue to the wood block.

Lou

lastvautour

Glue canopy cutouts on both sides and shape to block state. Not the overlap of both pieces.

Lou

lastvautour

Find a suitable top view (Note I did not) and glue to the bottom of the canopy and shape to block form. The green section in photo 2 will be removed later.

Lou

Note, the drawing shows a much earlier front panel.

lastvautour

Photo 1 - I reversed the image and made a full cross section at E and J
Photo 2 - Glue the E cross section to the front of the block
Photo 3 - Glue the J cross section to the rear of the block.
Photo 4 & 5 - Work slow and remove the wood outside the cross section lines. I used a knife at first and followed with my favorite tool
Photo 6 - Once fuselage section is shaped, draw the canopy section. Note the curvature of the fuselage makes this painful.

Lou

lastvautour

Photo 1 - incorrect shape to the forward panel
Photo 2 - correct shape but not quite right yet. I needed to be centered
Photo 3 - I draw contour line by placing my finger on the side of the wood and adjusting the pencil for different depths. Running on both sides give me a guide to follow. The trick is to take off small amounts of wood and finish shaping with my favorite tool
Photo 4 - Sand to shape and follow with sealer and paint later.
Photo 5 - My favorite tool for shaping. Sand paper and a hardware store paint stick.

Lou