• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/144 HMCS Bonaventure Started 1 April 2008

Started by lastvautour, April 18, 2008, 05:02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meandog

Some nice work there Lou, is it going to be a static display or a working model?

lastvautour

Jim

I've been meaning to mention this, Lou, but just haven't gotten around to it until now. Back in 1966, my brother and I spent the summer at our grandmother's house in Canada. She lived in Lauzon, Quebec, right on the St. Lawrence River, on top of a hill overlooking the Davie Brothers Shipyard, where the HMCS Bonaventure was undergoing her "mid-life" refit and modernization. She was the first aircraft carrier I'd ever seen, and I was fascinated by her. All summer long we watched her in the dockyard, and when we came back for a short visit the following spring, we were surprised to find her still there! The great irony turned out to be that after that long refit, she only lasted another couple years in service before being paid off and scrapped.

Your model not only fills me with admiration for your modelling skills, it also brings back a lot of childhood memories...
And so it goes...

lastvautour

That is a coincidence. I joined the military in 1966 and travel to Quebec for my basic training. I am sorry I never had the chance to see the Bonnie for myself, and if you look on line she is not the most photographed ship in the world. I am glad to bring you joy.

Lou

lastvautour

Some major sanding is being done with a coarse file. No end in sight. I will miss the launch date by several years.

lastvautour

Some more sanding and work on the various openings.

Lou

lastvautour

The striking shipbuilders are back to work after contract negotiations. Painting of the deck has started and will continue for the foreseeable future.

Lou

lastvautour

Not quite ready to receive or launch aircraft just yet, but we are working on it.

Lou

lastvautour

Moving along. Marking are coming.

lastvautour

Picked up the paint this afternoon. I made a paint chip of the colour I wanted and had them mix it for me. Otherwise, buy those small bottles would have put me in the poor house. As such the quart of paint was $20.00.

The photo is the first coat quickly applied with a sponge. The surface is still very rough and needs much filling and sanding, but I wanted to see the effect of the paint.

Lou

Peter

It looks really good Lou! I forgot how big she is until I saw her in this photo.

Peter

lastvautour

I had forgotten just how heavy it was until it needed to be turned on her side. Nearly 12 lbs. This morning the entire hull received its first coat. The latex/acrylic will serve as the primer and filler for fine depressions but it is feared that a big tube of wood filler will be required to do the job. At least it is moving along. She has been idle for such a long time.

Lou

lastvautour

The starboard side is nearly done with the fore gun mount in place. Some light sanding and a few coats of paint and the other side will get the treatment.

Lou

lastvautour

Still some sanding to be done on the hull, however a friend is coming over this after to view the Bonnie so I pulled the air fleet out of storage and placed them out for show only. The accessories are also just sitting there for now. All will be put away after and sanding will resume. It gives an idea of what she will look like.

Lou

buccfan

Looking great Lou, some excellent carving, and great detailing, don't forget to make the tug boats for towing to her new display area. Regards Paul J.