• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Bench Hook

Started by lastvautour, October 05, 2013, 02:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

I cannot recall who on SMM showed me how to do a bench hook, however it was not recorded for others. This tool is essential to novice and expert alike. Simple three piece affair either glued or screwed. I did both. I made some adjustable ones but found that the adjustment pegs became loose and in most cases a short one and a long one was all I really needed. You need 3 pieces of wood. Attach a short piece to one end and the other small piece to the other end but on the opposite side. Use glue screws or your favorite method of assembly. Here are photo on how to assemble one.

Lou

Ken Pugh

Use mine all the time, it is a great tool.  Does not matter what size you make.  Since this is meant to hold a piece while carving, the surface of mine gets banged up by chisels.  Sometimes I want to cut things that a rough surface makes difficult.  To fix this, I got a big cutting mat and cut a piece out of it to fit my hook.  I got the very cheap blue mats that sometimes come warped.  When I ruin that piece, I cut another out of the first chunk I bought.  Makes a nice, cheap, clean surface that can be placed on the hook when needed.

Ken Pugh

lastvautour

I use a piece of mahogany vertically on the face of the hook. As per your, a quick pop with a blade and I am ready to apply another surface. For you novices, don't let the partner catch you working on the kitchen counter or table with these.(It does work quite well) You think texting during a reception is bad ......

Lou

Peter

I will try building one of these when I find some suitable wood. I have to say my wife handled the texting incident with a roll of her eyes and a shake of her head. It could of been much worse, she could of made me dance.....

Peter

buccfan

Dancing!!, now that would be going too far.Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

Dancing works off excess energy and racks up brownie points.

The smaller of the bench hooks received a new face. As you can see by the various grooves, scratches this one is well used.

Lou

Peter

You only get brownie points if you don't step on their toes! What is the best dimensions for a bench hook?

Peter

Ken Pugh

Peter,

Dimensions don't really matter.  You are building an S-shaped hook and function determines dimensions.  For example, the depth of the hook is determined by the edge of the table you"re hooking.  It needs to be deep enough to properly grip the edge of the table.  In use, you will have a block of wood against the back edge while using a chisel, so you need enough depth that you won't have the gripping edge lift off the edge of the table.

Length of working surface is partly determined by the amount of space on your table and the length of material you want to work.

Width, partly determined by space on work table and the piece of wood you have.  Pine 1" shelving board, which is 3/4" thick in the US, is a very good material for this.  Plywood will work as well.

Frankly, just find some piece of wood, cut out the three pieces, glue the hook pieces to the main piece, drive some nails to tighten it up as the glue dries, then have at it.  Having several is not a bad idea.  You will find that you use it for lots of processes.  I find it is handy when I am carving to catch the shavings.  I then grab the hook and brush off the shavings in the trash can, replace the hook, and go back to work.

Ken

Peter

Thanks Ken, I will scour the back alleyways looking for suitable wood.

Peter

lastvautour

Stores will frequently throw away wooden palettes They are a cheap way of making bench hooks.

Lou

Peter

Thanks Lou I'll check some places on my way home from work.

Peter

Peter

I got tired of looking for scrap wood to make a bench hook. So I went to Home Depot and purchased a 1"x6"x5' notty pine plank for $4.00. The bench hook is only a foot long but I have enough left over wood to make a longer one if necessary.

lastvautour

Perfect for those tapered wings. I suggest you glue a small piece of hard material to avoid damage to the back stop.

Lou

lastvautour

Just hold it place until it remains there on its own. When damaged, just replace it.

Lou

Peter

Okay Lou, thanks I figured put something to use. Now back to the Hampden!

Peter