• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Bristol Spaceplanes Ascender (1/72 scale)

Started by Oceaneer99, January 11, 2008, 07:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oceaneer99

The company sent me some rough drawings when I sent them a query.  I'll find them and send you a copy if you are interested.

There are several iterations to the design, based on photos I saw of their mock-ups at various aerospace shows.

Garet

lastvautour

I have started an Ascender so we can say we have a group spacecraft built. I placed the web site address for your photos on a flickr site where the Ascender was a feature. http://www.flickr.com/photos/df_btyhoo/285546454/
I can only place a limited amount of time on this project as I have quite a few on the bench now. I will post a picture soon.

Lou

lastvautour

Oceaneer99

Here are the rough-cut engines and rocket nozzle:

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-1837

I turned the rocket nozzle on a drill press, then drilled out the interior and carved it thinner with a knife. I drilled the holes in the jet engines while they were just a block of wood, then cut out to top and side views with a scroll saw. I need to drill out the back of the fuselage, as the rocket nozzle has a gimbal recessed in the back of the fuselage.

I soaked the end grain in superglue, which helps to harden it a bit.

lastvautour

I placed mine in the paint shop today. I need to establish a launch date. I will attempt to attain suborbital heights by 1 Oct 08. Aggressive schedules keeps me focused.

lastvautour

Oceaneer99

Um, hydrogen leak? :-\

Rocket nozzle shaped and cut from stock.  Aft end of Ascender hollowed out.  Engine nacelles shaped.  More filler and sanding.

Need to find tail (somewhere on that shelf up there), cut engine supports.

More to follow  ;)
G

Oceaneer99

Engine nacelle stands are now rough cut and shaped to fit wing and nacelles.

lastvautour

Keep that energy going. We need to be ready when they retire the Shuttles.

Lou

Oceaneer99

The Ascender now has two coats of sanding sealer and about four coats of spray lacquer sandable primer, with sanding in between coats.  Unfortunately, my sanding sealer left lumps that I'm still sanding out.  The wings are just about right, but the fuselage still has a few slight variations to fix.  There is also a spot on the nose I need to putty a bit.

The primer is a dark gray, and I'm considering using the color for parts of the final finish.  It has a graphite look to it, so it looks a bit like burned heat shield.

I still have to attach the jet engines and the tail. I figured it would be easier to get a nice finish without those on, but attaching them to the primed fuselage may be problematic.  I'll definitely scrape down to wood at their attachment points, but may add pins for reinforcement.

Garet

lastvautour

I have started using gel crazy glue to good advantage. It is strong and parts stay where you place them. Remember the Shuttle retirement !!!! I am sure it will all work out great for you.

Lou

Oceaneer99

Made some progress on the Ascender:

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-3145

The plane has many coats of primer, with putty and sanding between.  There is one spot I need to touch up at the wing-fuselage transition, and another on the left side of the nose.  These sorts of imperfections never show up before the primer makes everything the same color, which is why I always need so many coats of primer.

I've started the sealing and sanding of the engines and rocket nozzle, and need to work on the nacelle mounts and vertical stabilizer next.

Garet

lastvautour

Great work Garet, keep it going. I know you will do a super job on it.

Lou

Oceaneer99

Engines are mounted to their standoffs, which have been sanded to a streamlined shape.  They have a few coats of sanding sealer and are awaiting primer.  I removed some paint at the top of the fuselage in preparation for the tail to be glued on.

Garet

lastvautour

Nice going. I know it is sometimes hard to work on an ongoing project when all those new ones are on the bench. Give a photo or two as you move along.

Lou