• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

F8 Crusader

Started by Model Maker, October 14, 2018, 04:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Model Maker

Thought I'd also start a more detailed model of the F8 Crusader and progress the shaping of it along with the Toy version.

This one will be painted, while the toys will be primarily finished with a child safe natural finish. Scale is 1:48. Fuselage and wings are pine. Since the horizontal and vertical stabilizers are fairly thin, I've opted to make these from maple to provide some additional strength and resistance to potential future breakage. Tang at nose (which will be removed at the later stages of assembly) has been incorporated to facilitate clamping during the shaping stages.

lastvautour

I look forward to your F-8

Lou

Model Maker

Centrelines and station lines penciled on to cut out fuselage.

Since the model will be painted, I don't need to worry about the seam of the lap joint being along the centreline in the same manner as the toy crusader. This means I only need a simple lap joint with the joint seam on one side of the fuselage.

Lap joints on wings cut. I used a shoulder plane to perform the final fit up of the lap joints. First time that I have used one. The blade on the shoulder plane goes right to the side face of the plane, so it shaves right up to the wall of lap. With the grain direction of the wings, the shavings came off very thin allowing for good fit up. The lap joints are a little longer than required. Once the fuselage is shaped, I will trim the length of each lap. I'm slowly becoming a convert to lap joints for the models with the wings located at either the top or bottom of the fuselage. They seem to be stronger than stub ins.

At the thickest part of the root, the wings are approximately 3/8" thick, so each lap is 3/16" thick

Model Maker

Finally returning to this model. Have decided to re-cut the tail and stabilizers using maple due to their thinness. Cut the kerfs to facilitate chiselling out the rabbit for the wings.

lastvautour

I am going to like this one. Keep to photos coming.

Lou

Gearup

Nice to see you are picking up on a paused project.
Fraser

Boomerang

Watching with great interest.

Gordon

Model Maker

Daddos rough cut for wing and tail. Tail rough fitted as well. Wing daddo will be tidied up later, when the wing is fitted into the fuselage.

lastvautour

An excellent way to secure the parts.

Lou