• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Raising Money for the site

Started by Peter, January 13, 2011, 08:41:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter

Well seeing I suggested this board I figure I should start the first topic. This year we need to raise around a $150 to support the site. While I know some people will make donations it might not be enough, also if we can raise over and above this amount it will put us ahead of the game for future expenses.

So my suggestion is a 2012 Solid Model Memory calendar. Each month of the year could feature a photo of a solid model from the gallery. We could have members vote for their favourites to be included. All of the proceeds of course would go to support the site. I have never tried to make a calendar myself but I know print on demand sites offer the service. I don't think it costs any money to design them and people buy the them directly from the printing website so know one here would have to payout any money or handle shipping etc. We have over 200 members on this site plus the publishers list it on their website for sale. Here's one website that I have purchased several books from.
http://www.lulu.com/publish/calendars/?cid=nav_cal

If nobody likes this idea, does anybody else have some suggestions? If we start planning fund raising now we have lots of time.

Peter

dave_t

I sent the SMM guys a check last time and it worked out fine. It doesn't take too many members to reach $150.

The calendar idea is interesting though. What percentage does SMM receive?

Balsabasher

Where is the donation button to pay by Paypal ? I used it before but cannot find it now.
Barry.

dave_t

The site is already safe throughout 2011, right?

cliff strachan

I didn't know that we needed funding at this point. Apart from donations I think the calendar idea is pretty sound but may  require further investigation. For example the language on the calendar should be explored further. That is, if we are to be truly international in scope - and apparently our membership seems to dictate that we are required to search far afield - then this should be explored. Also some kind of generally acceptable manner of selecting the photos should be made explicit so as not to offend anyone. A few thoughts to start.
Cliff

Peter

Like I said, I haven't actually done this before so I'm not sure how much SSM would make. We would have to look into some various websites, if there's interest. I just think the calendar would just look really cool and would show case what solid modeling is all about.

Peter

Oceaneer99

To answer Dave's question, the site is paid through fall of 2012.  But we started the fund raising a little late last time, and it would be good to build over time.

We welcome all donations, big and little, at any time.

The donate button (which brings you to Paypal) is on the home page: http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/

For those who wish to donate by check, contact me.  I bundled check and other donations last time and made deposits to the SMM account.

Thank you,
Garet

R.F.Bennett

I'll take the blame on this one Gents. Last time we raised money it simply wasn't enough. So I charged a large portion of the fee to my own accounts. I don't know the exact amount but it doesn't matter now. The point is thanks to cutbacks in State medical funding I am now going to have to pick up much more of my medical costs than in the past. I simply can't put in the support at the last minute that I did before, if at all. So the decision has been made to start an early fund drive. A few dollars at a time instead of panic at the end. We have 249 members, we should make it easily in the time we have.
"The Dude Abides"

R.F.Bennett

It wasn't my intention to stop the conversation Gentlemen.
I have always hoped to produce and sell (To the Membership) Solid Model Memories merchandise via Cafe'Press;

http://www.cafepress.com/make/personalized-gifts

The proceeds going to the site. But I was not able to come up with a satisfactory piece of artwork, something like a squadron patch, with Tucker the unofficial SMM mascot, Flying a plane or something. This could be printed on hats, coffee cups, mouse pads, shop aprons even stickers at Cafe'Press. A calendar could be done there too.
One of the other thoughts I had was a model sale through E-bay or a kit sale. I have some kits I would donate, but I am short on well finished models.  :P
"The Dude Abides"

Peter

I don't think you stopped the conversation. I just don't think anybody knows where to take it from here. I like the Cafe Press idea. All you need is some artistic member to volunteer to draw a logo. It would be cool if the logo could look like a squadron badge or nose art. It would make a nice tea mug to have on my work bench!

Peter

cliff strachan

First it was Ray and then Peter who have proposed a calendar as a means to raise funds for the Group. Upon a bit of reflection I would like to add my name to this short list of supporters of the idea. I recall that at one time the Western Canada Aviation Museum used to put out an aviation calendar as a purchase while at the same time promoting a raffle ticket printed on the back of the calendar. This might be considered as an additional advantage of a calendar.
But mostly I believe that the principal advantage of a calendar is the ability it provides in allowing our group to i) advertise itself by displaying photos of the many fine models that we have completed, and; ii) to contribute uniquely to the history of aviation by showing aircraft that have played an important part in aviation - and are generally not provided in kit or plastic alternatives.
Barry's models are a prime example of the latter.

As time seems to be a constraint we should act on this initiative quickly.

Cliff.

cliff strachan

It also occurred to me that each photo of a model should include a brief account of its historical significance (long range flight for example) or its contribution to aviation technology. A three-view of at least one of the models might also be included.
Obviously while the possibilities are unlimited the organizational problems will demand a lot of time and attention.
Cliff.