• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Lancaster

Started by Model Maker, January 11, 2022, 02:56:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Model Maker

Camouflage masked in preparation for spraying black

Gloss varnish applied after black paint dried in preparation for decal installation

lastvautour

Fantastic finish Ken. Are you making your own decals or painting the markings?

Lou

Boomerang

Excellent ! Excellent work Ken.

Gordon.

I might revamp mine at some stage.

Model Maker

Thanks for the positive feedback!

I was pondering to stencil the "decals". But I think the serial number and ensigns on the tail will be too small to cut out on the silhouette cutter. So I suspect I will make my own water slide decals instead. Will have to perform some tests in the next few days to make a final decision.

Model Maker

Cockpit and turret masking and painting. I wasn't sure if the paint would wick under the masking tape or not because the strips are so thin. Grey was not thinned as much as normal and the air brush pressure was kept low to around 15 psi to keep coats light.
I was pleased how the cockpit turned out with no wicking under the tape.

I tried cutting the serial number on the silhouette cutter, but the letters were too small and tore during the cutting process so I'll use some decals instead of trying to paint the markings.

lastvautour

Excellent masking of your cockpit glass.

Lou

Boomerang

Love your work Ken.

Gordon

Jim

Lovely job from end to end.
And so it goes...

Model Maker

Finally finished this one!!

Mr. Murphy decided to visit me at numerous times which resulted in: incorrect propeller rotation (new props made), crazed paint (wasn't sure which clear I originally used so decided to spray with lacquer, which caused "cracking or crazing" of the over-sprayed green and issues with paint masks (so had to go with the backup DIY decals.

I've learned my lesson and will be staying away from lacquer and sticking with my tired and true water based varnishes.

In any event, it's complete and ready for gift giving.

lastvautour

That is a magnificent Lancaster. I enjoy your model-making skills.

Lou

Boomerang

An absolutely stunning result Ken. Well Done!

Gordon

Model Maker

Thanks Lou and Gordon!!

I am not a prolific carver due to other competing requirements on my time. Hoping to increase the number of models. But I still have a ways to go to reach the level of creativity and workmanship which you and other site members achieve.

Gearup

A finely crafted model of the Lancaster. I enjoyed watching the build and am sure the recipient will be thrilled with it.

Fraser