• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Century jets cookup

Started by Ken Pugh, December 07, 2008, 11:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Pugh

My nomination for a 2009 cookup is the century jet series.  I plan on building an F-102 Delta Dagger.  My father started out in radar in the USAF and remembers scrambling F-102s many times.  Any takers?

Ken Pugh

lastvautour

I am in. I should have read all post before writting my last comments to the general comment section.
As previously stated, I will do the series starting with the F-104 because I already made one in the nineties and this is my chance to sort out some issues I had making it. At 20 inches long, it will make a fine display model. I have plastic 1/144, 1/72 and 1/48 scale versions but look forward to making a solid. My next one will probably be the F-101B which may the the hardest of the series, but I have 14 years experience working on the J-57 engines that powered her.

So now, where are the other participants?

R.F.Bennett

A cook-up has been nominated and approved (It only takes two builders) and they never end. Please define "Century Jet" for those who do not know the term.
Let the chips fly Gents  ;D
"The Dude Abides"

lastvautour

The century series of aircraft comprise of the
North American F-100 Super Sabre
McDonnell F-101 Voodoo
Convair F-102 Delta Dagger
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter
Republic F-105 Thunderchief
Convair F-106 Delta Dart

Each can be found on www.wikipedia.com and a million other places on line. Decent drawings are available on line for all of them.

Ken Pugh

Hi Lou,

Since you also would like to do the Delta Dagger, I think I will do the F-106 Delta Dart first.  I have the Detail & Scale book on that plane, as well as the F-105, F-101 and F-100.  I like the Delta Dart the most and can't decide what colors to do the Dagger.  I plan to do all of them, with doing several of the models of the Voodoo.

Ken Pugh

Ken Pugh

I was talking to my Dad today and asked about the color of the F-102 and F-106.  The pictures show it as a bluish gray.  He said it had no blue in it at all on the F-102 but it was a gloss, about the sheen of metal.  He never saw an F-106.  He said it was similar to the light grays the Navy used in those days.

Ken Pugh

lastvautour

Most F-102s and F-106s were "aircraft gray" which is slightly different from other grays around at the time. This can be purchased premixed through Model Master Paints. I have a couple of bottles in my shop and I will get the number for you. I have the F-106 "In Action" booklet.  I was choosing the F-102 because I wanted to compare notes with you. I will go back to my first choice which was the F-104G. The F-104 and F-101B were used in Canada and I worked on the Voodoo for a total of 14 years. I saw the F-102, F-105 and the F-106 during my career with the F-101. I have yet to see a real F-100. I need to clear some build space on my bench. I have the Kingfisher nearly done, so that is where I will build the F-104.

Lou

lastvautour

Forgot to ask - what scale are you doing your Century Series Jets.

Lou

lastvautour

Aircraft Gray or ADC Gray is FS 16473 and depending on which site you visit, there are some differences. If memory serves me well, the colour offered by http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/stuff_eng_colorcharts_fs.htm is correct. Scroll down to the FS number you want and the various manufacturers are listed with their numbers.

Lou

Ken Pugh

Lou,

I will be working in 1/72.  That is my scale of choice for cranking out models, which I would like to do in order to get my skill sets and efficiency up to speed.

The F-102 is not well represented in my scale resources.  I only have one set of drawings I found on the internet and am not pleased with them.  I would like to get some better information so it would be better to let that one sit for a while.  Whatever I find I will share.  I guess this cookup topic is as good as any other location for details about this jet.

I do know that some info on the F-102 is a little overblown.  She was eventually relatively fast, but she had extremely short legs and was only effective as an interceptor when based densely throughout a region.  My father remembers scrambling some from Seymour Johnson to intercept a T-33 flying subsonic towards Wilmington, NC.  By the time they caught it near Wilmington, they were already needing to return to base due to lack of fuel.  Looking at a map, that is not much of an effective interception range for a subsonic target, especially since it could not effectively engage the target at intercept.

I have the Squadron booklet on the F-104 if you need any of the small amount of info found there.  I remember seeing one of them parked outside a school building at Keesler AFB in Mississippi when my father was based there.  That thing is a tiny little hot rod.  I got to see the Thunderbirds in F-100s.  What a show!  Those guys were crazy and that jet seemed to bring out the kid in a fighter pilot.

Hopefully we can build up some useful info on all the Century jets that can be stored here and be a useful resource for modelers to come.

Ken Pugh

lastvautour

I will build in 1/32 scale but have 1/144 type detail only. That is the way I make all my models.

F-104 drawings have been printed, but came out to small. I need a fuselage lenght of 52.18cm.

Lou

Ken Pugh

This site has some great pics.  I found some nice detail shots of several of the Century jets.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/

Click on the Walkarounds tab and under Jet Walkarounds you will find many selection with some good detail shots.

Ken Pugh

lastvautour

I frequently visit that site myself for plastic and wood related subjects.

Lou

lastvautour

Drawing have been printed and fuselage block selected. More to come.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-2568

The fuselage will be 52 cm long, the biggest aircraft in quite a while.

Lou