• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Air Brush Paint Filters

Started by Model Maker, Today at 01:02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Model Maker

While working on a project which involved airbrushing some craft paints, I came across a video for a simple paint filter. It doesn't work for acrylic craft paints straight from the bottle as the paint is too thick to flow through the filter. But then, it's also too thick to airbrush. When the paint has been thinned appropriately for airbrushing, the filter works great. The filter can be used for any airbrush paint to prevent any small particles in the paint being transferred to the object being airbrushed. In reviewing several airbrush related videos, the comments was automotive paint is always filtered before application. Why wouldn't we do the same for our models?

The filter is comprised of 2 easily obtained components. - A brass pipe fitting and a stainless steel pipe filter. In reading about pipe filters, there are various qualities. The ones shown in the photo are stainless steel, stiff and work well. They are available on Amazon.

Total cost for this is around $18 canadian. The pipe filters are the most expensive part with 100 filters for approximately $10 canadian.

Photo 1 shows the parts and part numbers used for the build

Photo 2 shows the pipe filter pressed into the pipe fitting. The pipe filter is 3/4" diameter.The key is to obtain a pipe fitting the same internal diameter as the pipe filter outside diameter so no filter trimming is required. In my case the adapter fitting  is a 1/2" female NPT pipe connection on one end with a smaller diameter on the other end. The fitting material is brass to prevent rusting.  The smaller diameter on the other end provides an internal landing where the bore size changes for the pipe filter to rest on. I know it's not logical, but 1/2" pipe threads are approximately 3/4" in diameter. The filter is simply pressed in and retained by the pipe threads. Filter removal is as easy as pressing out the filter with the end of a paint brush, dowel, etc.

Photo 3 shows the filter mounted on an airbrush jar.

The filter has been used numerous times. A quick rinse in water of the pipe fitting and screen and it's ready for use again.