• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Tutorial Novice - DH-98 Mossie - WWII ID Model

Started by 1.JaVA_LGorrit, October 03, 2013, 02:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balsabasher

Jorrit that looks like Revell tinlets of enamel paint you are using there ? if so its not the easiest paint to use as it tends to dry very quickly,yes its coming alive now.

Barry.

1.JaVA_LGorrit

Quote from: Balsabasher on February 20, 2014, 11:19:26 PM
Jorrit that looks like Revell tinlets of enamel paint you are using there ? if so its not the easiest paint to use as it tends to dry very quickly,yes its coming alive now.

Barry.

Hi Barry, yes it is...
I did not face any real difficulties.
What's the downside of fast drying paint?

1.JaVA_LGorrit

I was just having a morning coffee and pipe in the backyard, until I heard the distant roar of piston-engines.
When the sound came closer I recognized the distinctive sound of 2 merlins.

I was quick enough to make a picture  ;D

On a more serious note:
The model is closing towards completion, the things to do list becomes shorter:
1) Perfect the paint on some small points
2) Add a radio antenna on top of the fuselage behind the cockpit?
3) Add a finish coat over the paintlayer
4) Attach the model to the displaystand

On the points 2-4 I could use your input and suggestions:
2) How can this be done?
3) Is this necessary? If so, what do you normally use?
4) I am thinking about heating a nail and inserting it into the displaystand, then taking the cap of the nail of with a pair of pliers. Drilling a small hole in the underside of the fuselage.
Do you know an easier way to do this?

Looking forward to some guidance here.

And here are some pictures of the displaystand I made from high quality Baltic birch 10 layer plywood.

Jorrit

lastvautour

Very realistic flyby Jorrit. I predict a highly successful future as a solid model builder. Just let your imagination run wild.

For my radio mast I normally use flat toothpicks or any scrap of hardwood. The Hampden build shows the method I used, http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/SMF/index.php?topic=1114.msg11844#msg11844

Mounting to the stand involves using a round dowel or in my case a round toothpick. I drill a hole in the bottom of the aircraft at the point of balance and a similar hole in the top of the stand, I do not glue the toothpick/dowel. Check out the tip section at http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/SMF/index.php?topic=1154.msg11530#msg11530

Lou

1.JaVA_LGorrit

Lou,
Again thank you!
Points 2 and 4 are marked done.
Last question:
After painting, do you finish it with a layer of veneer?
Or the paintlayer is enough?
I'd like to hear your opinion.

Jorrit

lastvautour

Unless it calls for a high gloss finish I usually just leave the paint finish. Looking forward to more photos.

Lou

1.JaVA_LGorrit

Yesterday I finished my Mossie.
Really strange how you apply the last changes and then you are looking at your finished model.

Lou,
I really don't know how I could ever thank you.
For all the instructions you sent me.
For the patience you had.
For the motivating mentorship you have provided.
For the trust you have had in me.
You have taught me how to make a solid model.
Something that I did not believe I could ever do.
I thought this was only for the big boys, and look at me now  :D
Words cannot explain how proud I feel that I made this model.

It is not perfect maybe..
The roundels I painted are not 100% straight and accurate.
But this is MY model, and I made it!

I wish I could show you how grateful I am that I had this chance.

Thank you.

Jorrit

Mark Braunlich

Congratulations on your first solid Jorrit.  Well done!

1.JaVA_LGorrit

Quote from: Mark Braunlich on February 28, 2014, 01:17:34 PM
Congratulations on your first solid Jorrit.  Well done!
Thank you, Mark
I am confident more will follow.

lastvautour

An excellent first project Jorrit. You captured the essence of the Mossie with your carving and painting. You are well on your way to becoming an accomplished model maker. I echo Mark's comments on congratulating you. May there be many more models in your future.

Lou

P.S. Assistance is just an email away. Keep your blade sharp.

cliff strachan

Hi Jorrit. A very nice Mosquito. I hope that you will always be able to say:" . .  this is MY model and I made it." I believe that you will and such sentiments are what keeps SMM going. Congratulations!

Cliff.

Balsabasher

Jorritt you have experienced the full joy of building a solid model,it is a wonderful feeling that will grow and grow as your next model takes shape,your Mosquito is a joy to see especially as Lou has guided you so well to produce it,I love the outdoor shots,well done all round ! start gathering together more wood to build another model,welcome to the magical world of building solids !

Barry.

lastvautour

Jorrit, I have posted your picture to flickr for greater exposure including the attached.

Lou

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8416077@N08/

1.JaVA_LGorrit

buccfan

Well done Jorrit, you have made a model to be proud of. Keep up the good work, you will  see a model in every piece of scrap wood you pick up now, I save all my off cuts now. Best regards Paul J.