• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Current status of the 2012 list

Started by Boomerang, March 29, 2012, 07:01:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boomerang

The current status is :-

- Flycatcher.  Tailplane finished. Used the paper strip method on the horizontal surface and thread on the fin/rudder. Couple of coats of primer with a light sand in between and looks OK to me (from 3 feet).
                      Stock for interplane struts has been finished in a length that should cover contingencies.
                      Wings nearly ready for the paper strip method.
                      Engine needs the fiddly bits done but I'm happy with it.
                      The only big thing left is the undercarriage... working out a method that will work
                      Cockpit needs a bit of work

- Cierva C30. Fuselage was built using the method from "famous biplanes"in Aeromodeller Mag. Two suitable blocks screwed together and away you go. I like it so I'll endeavour to use this method in future.
                       Engine is just about done.. The exhaust collector ring is a bit fiddly but a challenge is good.
                       Tailplane follows the method used for the Flycatcher.
                       Undercarriage to be  refined. The wheels are grommets from an electronic parts store. About the right size just have to fill the gap. Hubs shouldn't be a problem.
                       Rotor head and blades underway
  -  Caproni CH1. Basic bits done. Need to make an engine and oil cooler plus work on the cowl to accept same.

Enjoy the challenge the little things present occassionally.

Gordon

lastvautour

Great work on those projects Gordon.

Lou

Boomerang

Thanks Lou. Enjoy just pottering along when I get the time.
    ( thanks for putting the picture in I was going to get around to it) .

Cheers
   Gordon

Boomerang

Got a bit of a march on with the C30. The Flycatcher and CH1 have not had anything further done to them since last update.

The C30 - Fuselage:- Used sewing thread doped onto lines to indicate stringers. The few panels on the fuselage and the  forward cockpit sliding door are paper doped on. A few coats of grey primer followed by  a light sand  and I think it turned out OK    . Some of "stringers" got a bit fuzzy after sanding but that was overcome.

Rotor blades are bass wood. Rotor fairing is carved but waiting sorting out rotor itself. I'm toying with making them folding ... just have to work out the mechanics.
  The struts for the rotor and rotor control arm  are brass and will be faired with wood etc..,

Having done the fuselage in two halves I've got to fill the cockpit holes so its either some seats or or a couple of crew busts or a combination of both.
  Engine is finished and work has started on brass propeller

Balsabasher

Thats a lovely kit of assemblies you have there Boomerang,the Cierva Autogiro makes for a very attractive subject,very well done,tiny rivets wold perhaps make good hinge pins ?
Barry.

Boomerang

Thanks Barry,

I'll wander down the local electronic shop at lunch time and have a look.

Got stuck in and made a couple of seats and dash panels out of aluminium take away food tray.

Turned out OK .

Cheers
    Gordon

Balsabasher

Thats the spirit Gordon,press into service anything that does the job,that type of material is free as well,I like working with that thin alloy as it can be cut ith ordinary domestic scissors and so easy to shape.
Barry.

Boomerang

Cierva c-30 is progressing. All the basics have been done. Still working out ideas for  the rotor head. The button in picture
  will be used as wheel hubs. I just have to find its twin in the imperial sewing box. Added fairings to undercarriage legs.

Working on wings for Flycatcher. Had to clean up the centre section of the top wing after some over vigorous sanding.
   Will use whiteboard margin tape for rib tapes.

Have made some progress on the  DH 5 . Wings are bass wood with whiteboard margin tape and thread for ribs/ribtapes.
  Fuselage is still in the "rough"stage. Pondering the the best way for the cowl. Propeller is done . Yet to start on engine

CH 1 sits forlornly but not forgotten in its transport case.

lastvautour

Boomerang

Some progress on Cierva C-30. Mainly the rotor housing and work on the cockpits and undercarriage.
 Pecking away at the Flycatcher and the DH5 .

Liked the idea of the glider and tug cook up so to that end have put together a Lysander, Hotspur,Horsa and Hamilcar in 1/144.
 Deciding on either an Albemarle or a Stirling as the other tug. Have also down loaded John Bell's drawing .

The Buhl is from Cleveland Modelmaking News drawing and enlarged to 1/64th. I propose to finish it as per the drawing
 Blue/Yellow.

Cheers

lastvautour

A very nice selection of models. Looking forward to the finished photos.

Lou

Boomerang

Status of the models in previous update.

All waiting on undercarriages and decals and final finish off.

Enjoyed the Pup

Cheers Gordon

Peter

Looking good I really like the Horsa!

Peter

lastvautour

They all look great Gordon. Need some individual pictures once completed.

Lou

Boomerang

Buhl Pup - Completed.

Not on the 2012 list but it was just a lot of fun to build. (Hidden amongst a couple of Gliders)

Scaled up to 1/64 from a plan in Cleveland Modelmaking News.

Balsa Fuselage , Basswood wings and tail.Wheels from basswood discs with "O"ring cut to suit. Brass tube U/c and pylon.

Engine is blank cut to suit from basswood. Cylinders rounded and wound with thin wire. Rocker covers are basswood sanded to suit.

Bracing is cotton thread pulled through grey primer .

Registration applied free hand.

Cheers

Gordon