• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Flying Boat Cook Up

Started by lastvautour, January 17, 2008, 04:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Selection of my flying boat will be no later than the end of the week. I am leaning toward Short S-23 or the Martin M-130 or the Boeing B-314. Scale will more than likely be 1/144 or maybe even smaller??? I need to find out how big each scale will be. I am running out of space on my shelves.

Lou

P.S. I have place messages for Len to joins us here. He was building a Black cat and a Grumman Goose. He will probably join in also.

davetunison

Lou,
   I will try one of the Rohrbach flying boats- Robbe, Rodra or Rocco (robot names?). Also in a small scale.

Dave

lastvautour

I never knew those existed. I will have a closer look. Thanks for the info. I am still going for the Boeing B314.

davetunison

I was looking at the wingspans and the "Robbe I" is in the same size range as the Oxford, so that may be my choice.

lastvautour

Even at 1/144 scale, the Clipper is still has a 12" span. a 1/350 would be 5.2". Probably the 1/144 will do me well. It will go with the remainder of my 1/144 models especially the B24 Liberator. At 1/72 would equal 25". at 1/32 it would be impossible at 57".

davetunison

I built a vacuform of the Boeing 314 years ago, but can't remember the scale, it must have been 1/72.

In childhood, I had a smaller scale plastic kit version. All the clear window parts had fallen out and I discovered that submerging just below the surface in a swimming pool, the air would gradually escape from the window holes and the plane would sink in a good simulation of "flight" when given a bit of a forward push.

davetunison

I'm also interested in the Canadair CL-215/415. I like how they mounted the nacelles above the wing. It's not the most beautiful thing ever built but still carve-worthy.

Oceaneer99

Oceaneer99

Lots of cool naval seaplane articles (including jet seaplanes) are at:

http://www.combatreform2.com/p6mseamaster.htm

lastvautour

Neat article Garet. Thanks for the the album. I am sure we will fill it up.

lastvautour

Dave, neat looking craft you selected. Are you doing your standard paint scheme? I see lots of filletting. It should be a good subject to practice the art of doing fillets.
Have you considered carving as a single piece of wood?(Pre-glued blocks)

lastvautour

Just a short note to say that the B314 is progressing with the pieces all blocked but not shaped except for the tail area. The tree vertical fins bring a new challenge to ensure all is lined up.

lastvautour

Oceaneer99

Lou, what scale did you settle on for your Boeing 314?

Garet

lastvautour

Garet, she is rather small at 1/350. I will do another bigger project at a later time. Right now I have too many projects in waiting. I was looking for war time colours but apparently she remained silver(metal) throughout her career.